Giralda classical/flamenco guitar info?

What's Hot
I have taken a rather lovely little Spanish made Giralda Model 30 classical (I *think* it’s actually a flamenco) in a trade and was wondering if anyone knew anything about them?

There is pretty much no information available online.  The previous owner said he bought it new at least 15 years ago.

It’s super light weight, definitely a solid top, ebony board, and surprisingly loud.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    there's a used Giralda Emilia  FS on the Hobgoblin website  -  try using that as a search perhaps 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • moremore Frets: 230
    edited December 2021
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=fpML2QvCcWk
    They are a Madrid based  manufacture , not quite mass produced. I don't  think they have every been widely available in the UK . I have  never played one  , but not a bad guitar by the looks of it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BuchananBuchanan Frets: 5
    edited February 2022
    Thanks @bertie the one for sale at Hobgoblin is fairly similar and the only other I can find for sale.

• BuchananBuchanan Frets: 5
    edited January 2022

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Cig35Cig35 Frets: 62
    That looks really great! To me it looks more classical than Flamenco. Body looks rather deep and Flamenco guitars often have a thinner body. Also Flamenco guitars quite often (but not always) have a transparent plastic protection on the top from the bridge to almost half the soundhole on both sides of the strings for tapping out the rhythm. How is the action? It should be really low on a Flamenco guitar and it is fully acceptable with a bit of string buzz and a tone that dies out quite quickly..

Giralda seems to be a brand that's not easy to trace but they seem to be currently produced by Geronimo Mateos in Madrid ( https://www.geronimomateos.com/en/ ) as a "budget" brand compared to the ones branded Mateos that are hand-made. The headstock shape on your guitar seems to match the one on Hobgoblin but that guitar has the text "hand-made in Madrid" whereas it looks like your guitar has the text "produced in Madrid" so at some point in time they probably separated the two brands.

Today the brand Giralda seems to be available from the Spanish shop SinergiaMusic but your guitar seems to be of a clearly higher quality than the current Giralda range there https://sinergiamusic.es/buscar?controller=search&orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=giralda

Enjoy the guitar!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks @Cig35 and yes, it is indeed a classical model.

It turns out that Guitarras Giralda is the old business name of Guitarras Geronimo Mateos, and they never used the two names as different lines, but for a while Geronimo Mateos was printed on the label alongside Giralda.

I have been in touch with them (a father and son outfit) and they have been very helpful.

They have sent me the original brochure for my guitar along with all the specs and they are checking the serial number to let me know when they made it, with a rough date so far of between 17 and 19 years ago.

The brand Giralda that now exists has nothing to do with them.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cig35Cig35 Frets: 62
    Good to know the history, and now that the guitar has been identified you really have to be more than happy with the deal!
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    edited January 2022
    I can also chip in with the (almost totally pointless) fact that Giralda is named after the tower in Seville next to the enormous cathedral. I spent a year there while at Uni and got hideously pissed in a bar right next to La Giralda pretty much every night. A fantastic use of my dad's money I thought (he was born in Spain after all and surely would not begridge me that). 

There. Now y'all know. 

Beaut of a guitar BTW. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    Nothing more to add other than that’s a lovely looking guitar. Hope you enjoy it. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to