Am I ok to call this a G 5 sus 2 to myself

What's Hot
Not seen this version of a G5 before  I assumed I could call it a G5 sus 2 to myself as it has no third B but has the 2nd (A) .  Easier for me to remember 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I’d just call it a Gsus2. The open A could also be involved if you like. You can of course call it a G5sus2 to yourself if you want to.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6799
    edited January 2022
    Could it also be called a Dsus4/G ? Or do slash chords need to only have a 3rd or 5th in the bass?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkb said:
    Could it also be called a Dsus4/G ? Or do slash chords need to only have a 3rd or 5th in the bass?
    I suppose it could be ,it has all the required notes and the G is on the bass 
  • That'll learn me... I spent ages rereading the first chord on the stave and wondering why people thought it was a sus2... then reluctantly read that chord box ( I rewrite mine for left handers) - not the same as the chord and no Ted Greene symbol to denote movement in the chord... then read the next chord - pretty silly really.

Is it really a chord? sounds more like oblique motion in a contrapuntal harmony - or to my ears "here I stand" from Hide Your Love Away 
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    edited January 2022
    If you're just talking to yourself, you can call it an M71minusZX109 if that's convenient and easy for you.      On the other hand, if you are wanting to commune with others, then it might be best to call it a G sus2.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3546
    mrkb said:
    It's useful to think about its function in the tune when considering what to call it. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17605
    tFB Trader
    mrkb said:

Depending on how it fits into the song I'd be thinking that too.