Solo of the Month (SotM) #78 - Challenge

What's Hot
stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
edited January 2022 in Making Music
This is the 78th solo of the Month (SotM) Challenge.

The challenge is now open and ends at midnight 24th January 2022.

Discussion:
This backing track was kindly provided by @Bellycaster.

You can download backing track from Soundcloud below:

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sotm78-2022-01-bellycaster-scent?si=bb8fa901fff54e0587d8138270a5ea15&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

Record your solo over the top of it and then submit it (ideally in mp3 format) to solos@theFB.co.uk
Also, feel free to comment on how you approached the solo, which will add a bit more interest and maybe we can learn something from each other.

Title: Scent.
Because in @Bellycaster's words "it sounded like a 70's Perfume Commercial"

Tempo: 110 bpm

Chords:
|Dma9  |Dma9  |Bm9  |Bm9  |Cma7  |Em7  |A13  |A13  |

|Dma7  |Dma7  |Bm7  |Bm7  |F#m7  |F#m7  |G   |Gm   |Dma6  |

There should be headroom to record your solo. Try to set a level without excessive master limiting, because we want to avoid loudness wars.

Voting will start soon after the submission deadline, with each voter selecting their 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice.
First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point
The order and scores of the top three entries will be announced soon after the voting ends.

No prizes. It's just for fun.

As people submit their entries, I'll post them below to hopefully promote some discussion on approaches used for the solo:
It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4094
    That is very nice @Bellycaster
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Oof - lovely backing track. Looking forward to hearing all the different approaches to that one
  • Cheers, lads. I had to do something with myself on Boxing Day, the dullest day of the year compelled me into coming up with something :)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • Done mine and it's in the playlist.

It's not a competition.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4094
    Done mine and it's in the playlist.

That was quick!   I'm still drinking wine and watching Carry On movies welcoming in the new year :lol: 
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7128
    edited January 2022
    Mine is in - I didn't hang around as I didn't want to overthink it. Its pretty simple but to my ears fits the track - its such a nice backing track that I tried to compliment it and not do too much.

Its my Rickenbacker 330 into Garageband with some Echo and Flange
  • DrHungryDrHungry Frets: 116
    Just sent one in before all the smell puns got taken, and with about twice as many notes as there needed to be. Fantastic backing!
  • Scent one in  B)

No joke is too corny  =)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited January 2022
    Great backing track, Jon @Bellycaster ;;

• Kebabkid said:
    Great backing track, Jon @Bellycaster ;;

Cheers, Cos. That is my first attempt at playing Bass on a recording as well. It's OK, but I am playing tentatively. I'll have to get used to EQing and all that and how different settings on the "amp" apply to different styles.

I used the Wolfgang on the Neck pick up for the Solo, which will be up at some point. Mesa Modelling in GuitarRig5. Just a bit of Drive, Delay, Subtle Chorus and Compression.
  • Entries from @DrHungry and @Bellycaster are in the playlist.

An entry from @DrCornelius is in the pipeline and should be up shortly.

It's not a competition.
  • Some details on my entry:
    Guitar: Ibanez AZ2204 Prestige, bridge pickup.
    Ampsim: Neural DSP Cory Wong, based on a tweaked version of the 'Meditation Guitar Solo' preset.

It's not a competition.
  • Entries from @DrHungry and @Bellycaster are in the playlist.

An entry from @DrCornelius is in the pipeline and should be up shortly.

Sorry , I ballsed up the mixing on mine and meant to redo it today. I’ve instead found myself in the pub watching the football unfortunately!
  • Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1726
    edited January 2022
    I LOVE this backing @Bellycaster and have enjoyed writing a solo for it.

I’m trying to channel Ceefax music from the late 90s at 03.00 in the morning .

To take a break from recording all the parts separately, I decided to have a crack at playing the whole thing through in one go and videoing it. The result is a bit hairy with some warts but here it is

Don’t call the pinky police on me!

The guitar is a 1990 Hamer Custom Order made for Bob Davis of Guitar World Magazine and loosely based on their Vintage S model with a shed load of custom features. I love this guitar BTW.

On the guitar it’s bridge EMG 89 with neck position EMG SA with maybe 30% mid boost added on the SPC control.

Amp sound is an FM3 simulating a Bogner Shiva with some delay and reverb going on - usual stuff for me. I can’t recall the cab IR or any modulation, but will check.

I’m going to use this backing to write more solos, as there were loads of ideas that I couldn’t get into this one.

I’m just going to use this as my entry otherwise I’ll never get any work done! 

I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • And one from @Bennyboy-UK in the playlist (video above).

It's not a competition.
  • Thanks @Bennyboy-UK ;

I am old enough to remember Ceefax too  =)

The video in your post won't play, you'll have to reload it. This happens if a post has been edited after the link has been inserted into the post. It'd be good to see it.
    edited January 2022
    Thanks @Bennyboy-UK ;;

I am old enough to remember Ceefax too 

The video in your post won't play, you'll have to reload it. This happens if a post has been edited after the link has been inserted into the post. It'd be good to see it.
    Ah bugger, leave it with me chief!
    (try that on for size)

• Thanks @Bennyboy-UK ;;

I am old enough to remember Ceefax too 

Ah bugger, leave it with me chief!
    (try that on for size)
    That was certainly a work out for the fingers, nice one. No Pinky Police here. You're doing some stuff there with 3 fingers that I'd struggle to do with 4.

Nice Hamer as well, the colour is very "of it's time" shall we say  :) I was gonna don my spandex and C.C DeVille Wig and you don't wanna see that.

Interested to know what the toggles do apart from Pick Up switching? It's a very unique Guitar no doubt.
    edited January 2022
    Awww that’s so kind of you! 

I’ve been trying hard over the last maybe 3 years to get my playing somewhere where I’m happier with it after maybe 20 odd years of neglect doing grown up stuff like work and family

I’m trying to get away from the regular boggo blues based stuff I did when I started out around 1989  when I was 10 or 11.

Nothing wrong with that and it taught me some good general blagging and things like getting decent bending sorted and strong vibrato.

The controls on that guitar are master volume with pull switch to put the bridge position 89 into single coil mode. 

The pickups are EMGs alnico offerings, and I really like them.

The other two rotary controls are an SPC (mid boost) and EXG (treble and bass boost). 

The SPC can make the SAs sound like humbuckers, and with the EXG you can really push the single coil character very prominently.

EQ is very powerful, and not having a treble roll off tone control means it’s just a different way of thinking. I like to get a main sound maybe with one pickup and then add flavour to it by adding another and changing the EQ a bit.

The mini toggles are indeed pickup on and offs.

To me this thing is like a Music Man Luke I but predating that model by 4 years, with a dose of Valley Arts in there. 

You do see regular Hamer Vintage Ss come up occasionally for sale ( and it it’s a particularly nice one at a good price I’ll probably have bought it on sight!) but this one is is very mad by comparison to the regular ones. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow, that's quite a spec @Bennyboy-UK it's deffo a keeper and very versatile.

The controls are not what I expected. I guessed that one of the toggles would be a 3 way switch for the pick ups and the other 2 toggles did something completely different. I imagined the rotary controls just did the same as what a Strat's do.

Old Bob Davis certainly knew what he wanted in a Guitar.