Tasteful - leaves me cold

What's Hot
I came across this the other day on a YT drift..... it starts about 10:30...... the musicianship is good, the sound excellent, its tasteful, the song writing solid.... but it just leaves me cold and indifferent. It feels a bit sterile and lacking in any sort of edge, the songs full of 'yeah bro' stoner bonhomie back lacking any conviction......

what do you reckon?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    I think you can work that out without even pressing play.

Sorry to be so dismissive of fellow musicians, but I've seen this sort of thing before and frankly there are other things I'd rather listen to.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25113
    Is that Bob Weir?  I watched a few little bits and it sounds OK to me, perhaps too laid back for my taste but I'll give it another go.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 9018
    I think it just sounded like a rabble.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7868
    I listened to a few bits and pieces  - quite like the song at 1:28:30

Generally, there is too much "musicianship" from the musicians and it's a bit bland.
  • vizviz Frets: 11043
    What is this music? Is it funk? It’s so tedius. It just seems to hang around on the tonic, there’s no musical journey. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1316
    Some great musicianship there but it goes to show, without a decent song and a great voice delivering it you’ve really not got much. Managed about 10 minutes of it before I gave up.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    edited January 2022
    They've got the full set of mid-90s jam-band-blandness cliche

Stupid band name written in stupid font
    baseball caps
    Anyone but the drummer wearing shorts
    Cutaway acoustics
    At least 2 guys in vests
    Bloody conga player
    Someone called Kyle
    Guitarists sitting down
    Everyone who is standing up bouncing with the vibe
    Not a single real hook in ALMOST TWO AND A HALF HOURS 

It's funny, because I was saying to MrsF the other day how I'm glad I moved on from my position of "most US music is dreadful" when I was 18 or so. I now understand why I thought that - it's because 90% of it at that time was like this. Dave Matthews Band, Hootie & Blowfish, Counting Crows etc etc. At least that lot had a few half-decent songs. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    I'm liking it. It's the sort of music that I like to have playing while I'm working so I shall leave it on.

I'm never a fan of this mentality - I don't like it so it isn't good. There is stuff out there that I don't like at all but I can still  acknowledge when it is good or has value.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • wesker123wesker123 Frets: 508
    Reminded me of Big Mountain. I do not want to be reminded of Big Mountain. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34318
    edited January 2022
    viz said:
    What is this music? Is it funk? It’s so tedius. It just seems to hang around on the tonic, there’s no musical journey. 
    From their wiki:
    Slightly Stoopid
     is an American band based in the Ocean Beach neighborhood of San Diego, California, who describe their music as "a fusion of folk, rock, reggae and blues with hip-hop, funk, metal and punk."

It is fairly inoffensive music, I guess I see them as a vehicle for surfer dudes to fill in the hours that they are not trying to convince vegan chicks to sleep with them.

Drummer is good.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15283
    edited January 2022
    Bland? Yes.

Funk? No. 

It swings a bit but there is no urgency - almost as if the participants had a really big meal and a few drinks before they started to play. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10389
    "Your call is important to us, please hold the line until one of our operatives is free"
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6939
    edited January 2022
    Bland? Yes.

Funk? No. 

It swings a bit but there is no urgency - almost as if the participants had a really big meal and a few drinks before they started to play. 
    Bland? Yes.
    Folk? Nah.
    Rock? Nah.
    Reggae? Nah. 
    Blues? Nah. 
    Hip-Hop? Nah. 
    Funk? Nah.
    Metal? Nah.
    Punk? Nah. 

So they got a few things right. 

Grabbing elements of a certain style doesn't make it that style. 
    Many people think that if it evokes it, it is it. 

Good luck to them though, they're out there doing stuff and earning some kind of living. 

My opinions don't make me right, just opinionated, btw.

I prefer this ;

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Placidcasual79Placidcasual79 Frets: 1042
    edited January 2022
    I just want to say that I fully recognise that every has their own tastes -  each to their own - good luck to these guys - I know they support a lot of good causes in their local community - I wish them no ill will at all. I didnt put it up to slag it off. 

I posted it because I thought it was interesting that I probably like A LOT of the records this band listen to - and they're clearly capable musicians - but it just doesn't grab me - I wondered what the missing thing is - and I can see that quite a few of you feel the same way lol - some very funny comments - thank you for the Kyle comment @stickyfiddle also @wesker123 - I had never heard of big mountain. So you know - thanks for that Lol. 

Wasn't intended as an exercise in negativity