Monitor speaker placement question

What's Hot
I have a new screen - a lovely 4K 32 inch jobbie, and I also have a 27 inch mounted portrait for easier document review.

But the portrait one currently forces one of my Yamaha HS7 speakers to be partially behind it - blocking a woofer completely I can move the screen out of the way when mixing (the screen is on an articulated arm) but it's still a bit annoying.

The woofer in the speakers is currently level with the top of my head (when the screen isn't in the way!) If I raise them (there's 1 more slot available on the stands) then they will be firing right over the top of my head, and the screen will still cover the bottom third of the woofer.

I'm thinking about wall mounting the speakers instead, and having them angled downwards.

Is mounting them downward pointing a bit a problem at all? Assuming my wall will take the weight anyway!

ta

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7897
    Downwards makes the sweet spot very narrow...whereas facing the monitors forward you can move your chair nearer or farther and still have the treble response be consistent. (Highs are directional, bass is more omnidirectional)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 325
    @Winny_Pooh is right. If you do decide to tilt your speakers, keep the angle as flat as possible and do not exceed 15°. In studios I see computer screens not upright as many have at home but tilted up and positioned low so that the tops of the screens do not obstruct the direct path from the speakers to your ears.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33965
    There are loads of best practice for studio monitor that only really matter if you are mixing for commercial release.
    This is how I have my studio monitors in the room:

Mix position is 38% along the length of the long wall, the monitors are positioned so the tweeter is at ear height and the monitors are 30 degrees along the centre line.

There might be good reasons for diverging from this in your situation and that might come with a performance cost.
    I would tend to not want to wall mount, but it depends on the room.
    I dislike multiple monitors as it takes me away from looking right at the middle between the monitors.

Maybe a photo of things in situ will help?
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24867
    I'll take a pic later then - when I've got all my work stuff out of shot!

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd