Smallish, cheapish studio monitors

What's Hot
Hi,

I have a single garage that is converted into a soundproofed rehearsal space "Studio" , carpetted, heat, light, internet.  Due to recent times it is also used as a gym! 

The JBL LSR305 speakers, which used to sit on tall stands have since migrated into the house.  I'd like to get some replacement speakers for the Studio.  However, with guitars hanging on the wall and the music and gym equipment, space is tight.  I'd probably end up wall mounting the speakers.

I don't want to spend a bomb....which I imagine some of the tiny Genelec speakers would cost.....

Any experience with smallish, cheapish speakers / monitors?  I'm perfectly happy with secondhand.

Thanks,
Andy
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24273
    Define cheap?

The Yamaha HS7 are fantastic but might be a bit big.
  • andyg_prsandyg_prs Frets: 57
    edited January 2022
    Define cheap?

The Yamaha HS7 are fantastic but might be a bit big.
    Fair comment.  A pair of MKII JBL LSR 305s looks to be around £200 new - I'm comfortable with that....I'd rather not pay double. 

But the dimensions are a bit big for me: 
    • Dimensions (HxWxD): 298 x 185 x 231 mm
    The Yamaha HS7s look to be around £330 - 340 new for a pair...but the dimensions wouldn't work for me:

• Dimensions per monitor (H x W x D):  332 x 210 x 284 mm
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    I have had these for Years, honestly the best value for money Monitors I have had these were soooo much better than the KRKs they replaced, and only £200 for the pair.

https://www.m-audio.com/bx5d3
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • greejngreejn Frets: 127
    Someone is selling Tapco monitors on this site, total bargain and great speakers!
  • andyg_prsandyg_prs Frets: 57
    edited January 2022
    I have had these for Years, honestly the best value for money Monitors I have had these were soooo much better than the KRKs they replaced, and only £200 for the pair.

Definitely worth looking into - they are 5-6cm smaller on the height and depth and 1cm smaller on width.  Good price too...

My next consideration would be on methods of wall mounting...
  • greejn said:
    Someone is selling Tapco monitors on this site, total bargain and great speakers!
    Thanks.  Hadn't heard of them before....but too far away from me, won't send....and they are nearly as big as the JBLs I think
  • andyg_prs said:

Definitely worth looking into - they are 5-6cm smaller on the height and depth and 1cm smaller on width.  Good price too...

My next consideration would be on methods of wall mounting...
    You have to laugh at Amazon.....a pair costs more than a single?!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4981
    The pair might be ‘handed’, ie tweeters on the outer edges of the cabinets. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Rocker said:
    The pair might be ‘handed’, ie tweeters on the outer edges of the cabinets. 
    Good thought, but from the design, they look completely symmetical

• So, I do like the look and sound (excuse the pun - groan) of these M-Audio BX5 D3 monitors...and I can get them through Amazon...so on the outside chance I had an issue, easy returns.

Any recommendations for wall mounting?  So decent brackets....perhaps ones with some adjustability would be good.

The walls are soundproof plasterboard but I have plenty of appropriate fixtures that will bear the weight (5.6kg per speaker).

Thanks,
    Andy
  • I've ordered these...and the M-Audio BX5 D3 monitors...all due to arrive tomorrow!  I shall advise in due course :)

Thanks for the help!
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    andyg_prs said:
    I've ordered these...and the M-Audio BX5 D3 monitors...all due to arrive tomorrow!  I shall advise in due course :)

Thanks for the help!
    Excellent work, I have been happy with mine, I would replace them with the same if they died.