I Played My Acoustic In A Different Room In My House And It Sounded Amazing!

What's Hot
I've been playing guitar for 23 years, I normally always play in my bedroom, 3Meter x 3M Double glazed, I've never really been taken aback by the tone of a high end, Rosewood back and side, Cedar top acoustic. I went down to my dining room the other night, 3M x 6M and played it, dont ask my why and with the acoustics of the room it sounded amazing. I'm still learning things. 
Do you guys stick to one room to play in or have you used every room in your house to see which room your guitars sound better in?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    edited January 2022
    best sounding place (for the player)  is sat on the top of the stairs,  guitar facing the wall -  so you get reflected back, almost immediately what the "listener" would hear.

Room acoustics, of course,  are impacted by more things than just size,   curtains/carpet/furniture, ceiling height, wallpaper all can make a difference

Apart from that,  I play in pretty much every room,  yep even in there,  and in the garden,  front porch - anywhere I feel like at the time
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    Never really thought about it, although it does make a difference as you say. 

I think I read somewhere that Robert Johnson on played into the corner of the hotel room where he recorded some of his tracks, in order to get more projection off the walls. not sure if I imagined that or not. Maybe someone can confirm. 

On a different but related point, I have a guitar withe same woods (cedar/ rose) as the OP, and it is very dynamic and sensitive- real 'whisper to a scream' stuff depending on whether I play with my fingers or really dig in with a plectrum. 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I use a ton of reverb about 99% of the time at home :-) of course the room you're in makes a huge difference when you're singing too
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4195
    Redlester said:

I think I read somewhere that Robert Johnson on played into the corner of the hotel room where he recorded some of his tracks, in order to get more projection off the walls. not sure if I imagined that or not. Maybe someone can confirm. 

That is what they say, yes. Over-excited writers over the years have chosen to characterise it as him being too shy to face anyone while he recorded but more likely he was doing what Ry Cooder referred to as "corner loading"
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    edited January 2022
    Lewy said:
    Redlester said:

That is what they say, yes. Over-excited writers over the years have chosen to characterise it as him being too shy to face anyone while he recorded but more likely he was doing what Ry Cooder referred to as "corner loading"
    you can do it on the john too............................  :)
    (or top of the stairs  ;)  ) 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5430
    I mostly play 

(a) in front of a big window (all that lovely sound washing back over me off the window!)
    (b) in front of some double glass doors (ditto)
    (c) outside on the deck (no magic sound reflection, but I love being outdoors)

The other week I was stuck in a queue in the car for a couple of hours waiting to drive on board the Bass Strait ferry (which was late). Having nothing better to do, I fished my Maton dreadnought out of the back and sat in the driver's seat playing. Wow! The backwash off the windscreen and other glass was amazing! A very squeezy place to play, but quite an eye-opener. (OK ear-opener.)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tannin said:
    I mostly play 

(a) in front of a big window (all that lovely sound washing back over me off the window!)
    (b) in front of some double glass doors (ditto)
    (c) outside on the deck (no magic sound reflection, but I love being outdoors)

The other week I was stuck in a queue in the car for a couple of hours waiting to drive on board the Bass Strait ferry (which was late). Having nothing better to do, I fished my Maton dreadnought out of the back and sat in the driver's seat playing. Wow! The backwash off the windscreen and other glass was amazing! A very squeezy place to play, but quite an eye-opener. (OK ear-opener.)

Nice location too.