50s P bass neck

What's Hot
TheRobLewTheRobLew Frets: 11
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone knows where I can buy a 51-54 style P bass neck, ( the ones with a Tele style headstock), I’ve just picked up a body from Boo boo guitars for a decent price, and fancied a project. I found a few on eBay, but they’re an arm and a leg. Thanks in advance.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I’ve just finished a similar project using a Korean Sqier neck that I modified myself, these necks are quite well made, apart from a three piece headstock, and can be found quite cheaply. See attached folder, Mike.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1qx7t8hzx3nzrib/AAA-sjdakiwbYNwt_xhG8naaa?dl=0

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    I modded a standard neck by reshaping the headstock. If you are careful you may be able refinish the reshaped edge with Tru Oil and hardly notice
    This was a Harley Benton LH Jazz neck…

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Some self-build guitar parts suppliers offer necks with a so-called paddle headstock. You choose and cut the outline. You may also have to drill all of the holes.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Thanks for the replies guys. When I wasn’t looking, they were seemingly everywhere!
  • These projects all look great, my only concern about using  a large headstock or paddle headstock  neck, is won’t the, neck shave a curved end, whilst the neck pocket on my body is flat bottomed? 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    The heel end on paddle necks is usually shaped to fit a Fender P or J style pocket. Only the headstock requires shaping and tapering into the main neck profile.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
    Reverb has a few Fender ones but they're obviously not at the budget end, especially once you account for shipping

https://reverb.com/p/fender-099-0202-921-mim-51-precision-bass-neck-20-fret
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Try a wanted ad on Basschat
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll