scalloping a fretboard - is it a world of pain?

What's Hot
I fancy having a go. Never played one just want to try it out - both doing it and playing one. 

Anyone done one? any advice?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 17494
    I've not done a full scallop,  but done partial ones a few times from 13th fret up.   

You can do the higher frets with a rat tail file to rough in before sanding.   That's not too difficult at all.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11977
    edited January 2022 tFB Trader
    My two personal Panther babies are both scalloped from 14th fret up or thereabouts

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That "I am the law" guitar is just absolutely the best. 
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3043
    I’ve got a reverse headstock Strat neck with Blackmore type scallop on it. You’re welcome to a lend of it to bolt onto something to see if you get on with it ?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74472
    Just be careful... many years ago I acquired a SQ series Squier Strat very cheap, because someone had tried to Yngwie it, and they'd scalloped it deeply enough at one of the high fret positions that they'd hit the truss rod anchor, which was then visible.

Oops. Although it didn't go entirely to waste - I used the body to repair a real USA 70s Strat which had been the victim of some other damage (I forget what now), and the neck to test some repair methods to destruction.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    DrBob said:
    I’ve got a reverse headstock Strat neck with Blackmore type scallop on it. You’re welcome to a lend of it to bolt onto something to see if you get on with it ?
    Wow! That's a really generous offer! If it was driving distance I may have considered, but as it's 375 miles probably a touch too far! To be honest I'll probably just dive in on a cheap neck, I fancy having a go. Very kind though!
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3043
    axisus said:
    DrBob said:
    Wow! That's a really generous offer! If it was driving distance I may have considered, but as it's 375 miles probably a touch too far! To be honest I'll probably just dive in on a cheap neck, I fancy having a go. Very kind though!
    No dramas man, happy to stick it in a cardboard tube and post it if you’re interested ? It does need tuners fitted but I do have them here. But equally if you’d rather Fire in yourself no worries
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom