Only two acoustics (which ones)

What's Hot
Ok bit of an experiment.
You have a budget of 1500 to 2k
You can buy two acoustics, what are you buying?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    what Ive already got  ;) 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    I’d buy one acoustic on that budget 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72324
    Gibson Dove or Martin D12-35, which is what I have. But you can't get both for £2K.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    Two guitars? The Home Special, a secondhand all-solid wood guitar by a UK luthier, no pickup. Should be doable for £1500. Plus the Pub Mule, a solid-top, laminated back/sides Japanese/Taiwanese OM/small jumbo with a decent soundhole pickup, also used, say £350 all in, tops. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I have three acoustics. One Furch grand auditorium (beyond the mentioned budget) and two Audens. The Audens are a dreadnought and a parlour, which I bought from Doug Sparkes for less than a grand each as they were ex-display. The Furch is more versatile and probably a higher quality instrument, but the Audens get played more as each does its thing better. £1800 for two very fine guitars. I'm rather smitten with them.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    2/3 or so of a Brook
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1091
    You can buy a Takamine EF360S-TT and a Yamaha LL16 A.R.E 12 string from Thomann and get £4 change from £2k
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Not playing. Budget too low.
  • ZonularZonular Frets: 62
    axisus said:
    Not playing. Budget too low.
    Tell me about it
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5430
    On first sight, it seems like an impossibly low budget. I particularly like Matons, but I'm catholic in my tastes - I also like Guild, Cole Clark, Martin, Taylor, and I'd be more than happy to consider the made-in-Japan Yamahas and Takamines. All of these typically go in the $2500 to $6000 range (£1300 to £3200). 

But after thinking it over, I decided that the best strategy would be to look for the cheapest possible decent guitar for the first one, leaving as much as possible to spend on the other one. I am not prepared to consider anything likely to be made from unsustainable, illegally logged timber. That rules out anything from China or Indonesia and restricts me to makers in Canada, the US, Europe, Australia and Japan. 

So what are the cheapest really decent instruments, given those parameters? That's an easy one: the Maton S60 is a screaming bargain. It's an all solid, Sitka Spruce top, Queensland Maple back and sides dreadnought. No pickup, no cutaway, but properly made and bound. The 1 Series Cole Clarks are not much more, but I don't like guitars without binding - it looks awful and is just too easily damaged. So that's $1100 (£580), and I've got $2700 (£1430) left to play with. 

You don't get much from Martin for that money - I'd be happy with a D-18, but they are around $3800 and I wouldn't want two dreadnoughts. I like the Taylor 314 ($2900 - a couple of hundred over budget but close enough) and very nearly bought one a couple of years back: that's a possibility. My local dealer has a 3 Series Cole Clark in King Billy Pine over Huon Pine which I'd give my left one for, but it's out of the question  at $6000. I've played a few (much cheaper) 2 Series Cole Clarks that I loved, and a good many more which didn't do anything for me: so I'd try whichever ones happened to be available at the time with an open mind. Similarly, I'd try any Takamine, Furch, or Yamaha guitar in that price range (never played a Furch, but I only hear good things about them). 

But unless I fell madly in love with one of those try-outs what I'd actually buy would be a Maton Artist - $2700, Sitka Spruce and Blackwood and a model I've very, very nearly bought one of already. 

That would give me two Matons (I'd sort-of prefer two different makes but so be it), one dreadnought, one 808; both spruce tops (I'd rather like cedar or redwood over the Queensland Maple, but beggars can't be choosers); one Queensland Maple back (the perfect neutral, jack of all trades timber, though you might mention walnut in the same breath), one Blackwood (a more distinctive sound); and just barely stay inside my $3800 (£2000) budget.

Sadly, UK prices are much higher - an S60 goes for £950 and the Artist is £2400. With a £2000 budget, I think I'd buy just one guitar. No idea what though.
    I need to ask about maton and being Catholic in your tastes?
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5430
    OK, feel free to ask. What is the question?
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3671
    edited January 2022
    Yamaha L series and a compact rosewood Larrivee…. cover all the bases,
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    BigPaulie said:
    You can buy a Takamine EF360S-TT and a Yamaha LL16 A.R.E 12 string from Thomann and get £4 change from £2k

I was going to say a six string and a twelve string. 

But I'm not playing, the budget is too high.  ;)

My Norman cost about 80 quid. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
    I have 2 acoustics - a Martin HD28 and an Atkin 47. For 6 of the last 7 years the Martin was my only acoustic

With that budget I'd far sooner have one guitar than 2, and it'd most likely be a used Martin. Probably a D18 or D28. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Ok outside the prospective buying game. 
    Would I buy a Martin or a Collins or a Waterloo and be done......well yeah.
    The bit that gets me is the law of diminishing returns. If I pick up a Yamaha fs5 or a Cort gold series, other than resale value what am I losing out on?

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
    I do think there are diminishing returns with acoustics, but the curve is moved a fair way up the food chain compared to electrics, where anything above about 600 quid is probably better but you're not getting a 2x as good guitar for 1200. 

I'm not familiar enough with the current market to give numbers, but the best option (as ever) is to go try a bunch of stuff and compare with your own eyes & ears. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • A used Westerly guild and a Martin 15 series. 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    drofluf said:
    2/3 or so of a Brook
    I paid £1700 for mine  ;)   

(was a while go tho  )
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1091
    edited January 2022
    Zonular said:
    Ok outside the prospective buying game. 
    Would I buy a Martin or a Collins or a Waterloo and be done......well yeah.
    The bit that gets me is the law of diminishing returns. If I pick up a Yamaha fs5 or a Cort gold series, other than resale value what am I losing out on?

If you buy a Cort you're losing out on the chance to buy from a company who cares about workers' rights.