Laney Super Cub 12

What's Hot
If anyone has one of these could they comment on whether it is still crazy loud on the <1w setting please?  Can I get some decent classic rock tones out of it, in my small dining room, without annoying the family (too much).  I’ve got my finger on the buy trigger!  thank you. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    It's probably more about the specifications of your family than the amp. 

If the requirement is something you can talk over then generally the THR type solutions are better, louder than that then most amps are fine.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I certainly don’t want them talking over the top of me
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    I certainly don’t want them talking over the top of me

I suggest a Super Lead and a Twin just to make sure.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've got the previous gen Cub 12R. The 1W setting can go pretty quiet. 

• AK99AK99 Frets: 1598
    I got one of the older Cub 12 variants a few weeks back. Dunno if they're hugely different, but you can certainly get fairly good tones at conversation levels with high gain / low volume settings on the 1W circuitry. 

They are  better on the 15W mind you, albeit you need to up the listening volume a bit.

Fwiw I think its a cracking little amp without any pedals - and a great complement to the larger digital modeling  amp I already had.
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    edited January 2022
    If anyone has one of these could they comment on whether it is still crazy loud on the <1w setting please?  Can I get some decent classic rock tones out of it, in my small dining room, without annoying the family (too much).  I’ve got my finger on the buy trigger!  thank you. 
    I had one and yes you can, I put a few youtube clips online playing at exactly the volume you describe with my good lady working from home upstairs in our little hobbit hole.
  • cbilly22 said:
    I had one and yes you can, I put a few youtube clips online playing at exactly the volume you describe with my good lady working from home upstairs in our little hobbit hole.
    thanks - I will look them up - what is your youtube channel called?
  • I did a little demo of my 12R years ago, and this was at neighbour friendly volume. Ignore the shite playing.

• cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    cbilly22 said:
    thanks - I will look them up - what is your youtube channel called?
    PM'd you
  • allenallen Frets: 712
    The 1 watt setting is pretty good, but not as controllable as something like a THR. 

I tried one. 

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7811
    I use the older cub 12, mainly for rehearsal and gigs.

For me it shines, cranked in the <1w mode, but then it is plenty loud. Enough to play in a 3 piece band.

For practice I much prefer a modeller.

One thing though, I changed the speaker on mine, which gave it quite a volume bump.

I love these amps, they really sound great... At volume.
  • jca74jca74 Frets: 342
    I have the super cub top with the matching 2x12, as a 'downsizing' exercise from a Marshall JTM60 1x12, into the <1W input at home. After trying the combo I much preferred the sound of bigger cab, and I'm loving it. I am using it with a Marshall Powerbreak so run the master volume higher than I would otherwise get away with. I know many people don't thing attenuators are worthwhile, but it works for me.

The only problem I have is my other half can't work out how going from a 1x12 combo to a 2x12 cab + head counts as downsizing...
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1598
    I did a little demo of my 12R years ago, and this was at neighbour friendly volume. Ignore the shite playing.

I like that GR. The pedals seem to work really well with the Cub.
    Sh*te playing me @rse - sounds rather good :)
  • thanks for all your comments ... very helpful.  arrived today ... new amp day!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom