Sorted: drive pedal with parametric EQ

What's Hot
notonlybutalsonotonlybutalso Frets: 110
edited January 2022 in FX
so i am looking into getting a drive pedal with a parametric EQ, maybe a graphic. I am currently look at the stone deaf PDX and i know J rocket has the Melody. Does anyone know of any others i can look at?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    Redbeard effects - angry rhubarb ? 
    https://redbeardeffects.com ;

Not used personally but seemed to get some love on here when it was released 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294

I know this exists.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1438
    Orange Two Stroke is a booster as well - clean gain though, no overdrive but you could push your amp.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited January 2022
    There's the graphic fuzz which, I think, is basically a separate distortion and eq in one box. I don't think it's that "fuzzy".

I bought a non-working one years ago as a project. Haven't got round to looking at it yet. 
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1438
    I can't help by think that two pedals is the correct answer.  There's hardly a plethoria of drive pedals that happen to have a para / graphic EQ out there, unless you need the space on your board you're severely limiting your options.
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3024
    edited January 2022
    Just bought a Longsword by Electronic Audio Experiments

https://www.electronicaudioexperiments.com/longsword

Might not fit the bill as it's not an eq as such, but..... it has very effective knob controls for low, high and mid, to give a cut or boost. For the mid-frequencies, you can choose with a toggle whether the knob changes the mids at 300Hz or 1.1kHz. It also has a boost footswitch which adds up to +20dB of gain and a low-frequency cut at 300Hz. With also three clipping options, it gives a massive range of tones, from low gain to full-on doom. So a very effective tone shaper. And it sounds bloody fantastic through my Orange Rocker 15. 
  • Dodge said:
    I can't help by think that two pedals is the correct answer.  There's hardly a plethoria of drive pedals that happen to have a para / graphic EQ out there, unless you need the space on your board you're severely limiting your options.
    Normal drive pedals, even if they have a three band, have fixed frequencies that you can change, if the frequency i want to cut or boost isn't what the maker has set that knob at then it won't do the job I need, hence why I want something sweepable. Two drive pedals won't help, it will just give me two different fixed mid control frequencies.

The angry rhubarb is a good shout, the only thing about that and the stone deaf that I dislike is the lack of any other tone control knob so the bass and treble are set
  • I've never seen one with a parametric EQ, just a straight graphic. The one that comes to mind first is the Steve Stevens Rockaway Archer

• I can't help thinking there's a large elephant in the room here - drive pedal, powerful eq, (semi) parametric mid controls  ....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I can't help thinking there's a large elephant in the room here - drive pedal, powerful eq, (semi) parametric mid controls  ....

Yeah I would go straight for it if I needed that level of gain, it has crossed my mind a few times but I struggle valiantly against it
  • I don't know much about it personally but there is that KMA Machines Logan that was all over the YouTube reviews a while back?...

• GassageGassage Frets: 30912
    You really want a Son of Kong if, by some miracle, you can find one for sale.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    I can't help thinking there's a large elephant in the room here - drive pedal, powerful eq, (semi) parametric mid controls  ....

Yeah I would go straight for it if I needed that level of gain, it has crossed my mind a few times but I struggle valiantly against it
    Gain control go down as well as up :).

I know it's in the rules to turn it up full and if possible snap off the knob in that position, but they actually have a surprisingly wide range of dirt available.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Consider the metal zone - you might find one cheap. I always thought it would be better labelled parametric fuzz... Here is a zero gain demo.

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited January 2022
    Dodge said:
    Normal drive pedals, even if they have a three band, have fixed frequencies that you can change, if the frequency i want to cut or boost isn't what the maker has set that knob at then it won't do the job I need, hence why I want something sweepable. Two drive pedals won't help, it will just give me two different fixed mid control frequencies.

The angry rhubarb is a good shout, the only thing about that and the stone deaf that I dislike is the lack of any other tone control knob so the bass and treble are set

I may well be wrong but maybe he meant a drive pedal and an eq pedal rather than two drive pedals?
  • maharg101maharg101 Frets: 684
    VFE standout is no longer made, but is excellent for eq'ing gain
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • ICBM said:
    I can't help thinking there's a large elephant in the room here - drive pedal, powerful eq, (semi) parametric mid controls  ....

Gain control go down as well as up :).

I know it's in the rules to turn it up full and if possible snap off the knob in that position, but they actually have a surprisingly wide range of dirt available.

for what i want the gain control would have be at 0 for even the heaviest i want as demonstrated in the above video, i might still end up with one but i am hopefully looking for something with a more usable sweep of gain to me. I did used to have one back in my BrOoTaL days and i liked it but its not the style of drive i am after these days
  • Dodge said:

I may well be wrong but maybe he meant a drive pedal and an eq pedal rather than two drive pedals?

could be, i do have an eq on my board already but that is for global tone shaping and i dont want to have to tapdance to turn on my gain and an eq at once if possible
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    edited January 2022
    I've just listed an Emerson Pomeroy (in amongst other pedals). It's a really underrated and tweakable drive pedal which might fit the bill?

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/220785/fs-ceriatone-diamond-fulltone-ehx-emerson-rockett-mad-prof-beetronics-xotic-gfi#latest
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • I don't know much about it personally but there is that KMA Machines Logan that was all over the YouTube reviews a while back?...

this might be the very ticket! down the rabbit hole i go...