NAD

HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
edited January 2022 in Amps
Needed something in a bit of a hurry (which typically became less urgent only minutes after I’d placed my order) and ended up getting a Blackstar HT-20 Mkii combo without having actually previously played one. It looked like it had the sort of features I was after without getting too spendy.

First impressions are good. Easily loud enough for a small to medium-sized venue. Plenty of versatility, and four reasonably distinctive ‘voices’, plus the ISF ‘Brit to US’ control which (exactly as @icbm points out) appears to work the wrong way around!

For some reason I was expecting the speaker to be a Celestion 70/80 which I’d already decided to replace with a V-type. However the speaker is actually one of Blackstar’s own and first impressions are that it’s better sounding than a 70/80 (not too difficult!).

Anyway, should get the chance to try it loud at rehearsal on Sunday, but it certainly appears to offer decent bang for my buck.
I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633
    Blackstar would not be the first amplifier manufacturer to 'personalize' their speakers (bet its a Celly underneath the cover!) Some might say it is bad practice but it does at least force people to take the sound on its merits without preconceptions? "Oh, they've fitted a gf4-j2, That'll sound **** then"

Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    @HAL9000 ;  well if you're still "wanting"  V  type,   and its 8ohm............... I may have a near mint V30 about to be released into the wild........... (Im after a Creamy 12H) 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    Thanks @bertie - actually, having played it loud at rehearsal the other afternoon (and bearing in mind that the stock speaker won’t be broken in yet) I suspect I may well keep things stock.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    @HAL9000 ;
     NP  :) 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.