Volume Pedal - Which One?

What's Hot
mpcmpc Frets: 0
Looking at either Boss FV500 or DunlopVol X 

Anyone have experience of both and recommend?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mpcmpc Frets: 0
    JCA2550 said:
    Ernie Ball MVP is very good
    Ive read a lot they they can be tempramental with string breakages etc
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    mpc said:
    JCA2550 said:
    Not often, but if they do it's quite a pain to repair them.

For me the biggest difference between all of them is the physical angle the pedal travels through - some are much more comfortable than others, and it's so personal that I don't think you can possibly take a recommendation without trying one for yourself.

For example, I find the EB ones go to too steep an angle at heel-down - I much prefer the Boss - but I know a lot of people love the EB. From pics the Dunlop looks somewhere between the two, but I've never tried one. I can't get on with Morleys at all, the toe-down angle is completely wrong.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4095
    I've been using a Boss for years.  It's very very good just huge
  • ICBM said:
    <snip>
    For me the biggest difference between all of them is the physical angle the pedal travels through - some are much more comfortable than others, and it's so personal that I don't think you can possibly take a recommendation without trying one for yourself.

For example, I find the EB ones go to too steep an angle at heel-down - I much prefer the Boss - but I know a lot of people love the EB. From pics the Dunlop looks somewhere between the two, but I've never tried one. I can't get on with Morleys at all, the toe-down angle is completely wrong.
    This is great advice. There are lots of decent volume pedals out there which will work fine. I like the EB VP Jr. Don't worry about the string breaking - most owners never get that. ICBM sees some (out of the many out there) because he fixes things professionally. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    I love the EB provided on a flat surface. It's harder work if your board is tilted (e.g. pedaltrain) but if you put a wedge under to lift the heel end it's fine. I've never got on with anything with less travel/angle 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBM said:
    <snip>

This is great advice. There are lots of decent volume pedals out there which will work fine. I like the EB VP Jr. Don't worry about the string breaking - most owners never get that. ICBM sees some (out of the many out there) because he fixes things professionally. 
    I vote Boss, having had 2 EB string breakages in the past. I liked the Boss, only sold it because I stopped playing for a while. Have a Lehle now.
  • <snip>
    I vote Boss, having had 2 EB string breakages in the past. I liked the Boss, only sold it because I stopped playing for a while. Have a Lehle now.
    Wow. 20+ years without breaking a string myself, and never met another owner who has. Just goes to show, I suppose. 

How's the Lehle compared to the Boss from the usability perspective?
  • vizviz Frets: 10694
    I have a Morley Little Alligator, it’s good, but I prefer a boost pedal (or 2) in the loop. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654
    I've been very happy with my Boss FV500H (used as an expression pedal with my Kemper) for several years.
  • mpc said:
    JCA2550 said:
    They make a kevlar replacement string now.  The new pedals may even come with them fitted.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• Dunlop Volume X is what I use. Like it. Probably going to buy another to use as an expression pedal
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    Always been happy with my Lehle, but NOT the first version which had a stupid metal plate overhanging at the base, meaning you can't plug right angle patches into it.
  • VJIves said:
    Always been happy with my Lehle, but NOT the first version which had a stupid metal plate overhanging at the base, meaning you can't plug right angle patches into it.
    Ah, mine is a first version then, I just ordered new cables  :s

• How's the Lehle compared to the Boss from the usability perspective?
    Well, there were a few years between the two, so I wouldn't really like to compare. I like both though, was quite happy with the Boss. 
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3865
    edited January 2022
    Another Lehle user here. Superb. Better than any other vol pedal I've tried. And an excellent-sounding buffer and boost too. That being said, I've no use for a volume pedal at the mo, so if anyone wants it...

Edit: now sold
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    Ex Boss here. Built like a tank, superb in operation. Downside is they are heavy and take up a load of board real estate
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024