Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Beatles played in fascist Spain...

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22795
    edited January 2022
    Philly_Q said:
    Now that you mention it, all those great Sergio Leone Spaghetti Westerns were filmed in Spain.
    Paella westerns?
    Sangria westerns?
    DannyP said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Now that you mention it, all those great Sergio Leone Spaghetti Westerns were filmed in Spain.
    Spain: home of spaghetti.
    Italian productions, filmed in Spain.

Actually a lot of them were international co-productions, but they originated from an Italian production company, with an Italian director.  Django was the same, Italian production, partially shot in Spain.  I guess Italy doesn't have enough dusty desert locations.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited January 2022
    That's not why they were called that.

Edit Philly beat me to it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22795
    edited January 2022
    Do tell?

Edit: I've seen your edit. ;)
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited January 2022
    Philly_Q said:
    Do tell?

Sorry, edited my post now ^

Filmed where most of the rain falls.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    edited January 2022
    I am going through the podcast posted earlier. I suppose as Franco was anti communist, he was considerd "ok" by the rest of western Europe and the USA...
  • I am going through the podcast posted earlier. I suppose as Franco was anti communist, he was ok...

Tell that to the people of Spain :) :)
    “Ken sent me.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3072
    I am going through the podcast posted earlier. I suppose as Franco was anti communist, he was ok...

I have a Catalan mate who corrects everyone who refers to him as Spanish. It's a very deep level of feeling that I wasn't fully aware of, shamefully. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• @guitartango edited! that didn't read right!
  • CaseOfAce said:
    Pop musicians boycotting nasty regimes didn't just automatically happen because some musicians were virtuous.  An idea had to develop and gain traction first.  That hadn't happened by the time The Beatles went to Spain.

->

A news report describes the protest set off by British pop star Dusty Springfield when she refused to perform during a tour in South Africa unless she could sing to a non-segregated audience. Although her 1964 tour was cancelled, many other British rock stars joined her in condemning apartheid.

Turns out Dusty didn't actually finish the tour and was deported.
    I'd assume that the Beatles would have been aware of this since it would have been in the tabloids or on the radio back then?

Great thread by the way - a chap above asked what was point of it - but I've learnt stuff I never knew before.

The Beatles would have been aware of it, but it's a completely different thing.

Dusty didn't boycott South Africa to make a political point - in fact in interviews later she stressed that she knew nothing about politics, and was not politically motivated.  She was an obsessively enthusiastic black music fan who rightly thought it would be unacceptable if the people who invented the music she was performing wouldn't be allowed so see her perform it.

She travelled to South Africa assuming that she would be allowed to play to non-segregated audiences since a clause in her contract insisted she would.  The government didn't like it, panicked, and she was kicked out of the country.

What she did was brave and admirable and ahead of her time, but it didn't in any way reflect a generally accepted principle that pop artists didn't perform in countries with nasty regimes. That didn't arrive until many years later.  As the Glasgow Herald put it in 1989:

Her action then was seen as cranky and dangerously subversive. Pop entertainers in the sixties weren't meant to have a public conscience, and it is only comparatively recently that anti-apartheid pop protest has gained credibility.

Besides Spain isn't South Africa: however brutal the regime might have been, it didn't have racism as a deliberate philosophy.  It's just being anachronistic to take The Beatles to task for not boycotting Spain.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6682

What, in Majorca?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6682
    edited January 2022
    I have a Catalan mate who corrects everyone who refers to him as Spanish. It's a very deep level of feeling that I wasn't fully aware of, shamefully. 
    Try telling a Scottish, Welsh or Irish person that they're English. Maybe even a Cornish person...
    I always correct people when they say I'm English. 
  • Chris.BChris.B Frets: 285
    There's a statue of the Beatles conveniently close to the Mersey - just in case. 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    merlin said:

What, in Majorca?
    No, on the plain.

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3072
    merlin said:
    Try telling a Scottish, Welsh or Irish person that they're English. Maybe even a Cornish person...
    I always correct people when they say I'm English. 
    Quite. Hence the use of the word "shamefully".
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    The Beatles also played in the Philippines during the Marcos era.  
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    The Beatles also played in the Philippines during the Marcos era.  
    …but they refused to meet Imelda Marcos and they were then banned from the country. Although the refusal seems to have been a general not wanting to deal with authority rather than a political statement. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    edited January 2022
    IIRC, they elected never to meet with political leaders again after Harold Wilson tried to exploit their reputation in 1964.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    I am going through the podcast posted earlier. I suppose as Franco was anti communist, he was ok...

The Basques are even more militant about it.
    Franco dealt very harshly with Basque Separatist Agenda 
    Garroting was the execution method ( Anton Puig etc )
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448

A lot of the people of Spain liked him.  I remember going there in the late 80s, and a lot of the older people looked back on the Franco days as better.  "We didn't have to lock our doors at night" type of stuff.

I don't think they would have known about the atrocities though.

Spain stayed neutral after WW2, and I doubt any of the allies had the stomach to depose him after 6 years of war - especially only a decade or so after a messy Spanish Civil War.  Based on the Civil war, if they had deposed him, Spain may have ended up with a communist government.   That all led to him being tolerated.

We have done that more recently as well.  We tolerated Saddam for a good while because he was viewed as less bad than Iran.  If he hadn't invaded Kuwait he might still be in power now if he hadn't died of natural causes in the meantime.
  • TheMarlin said:
    You can’t judge events from 50 years ago by modern moral standard.  Was a completely different world back then.  
    Yes and no.

You're corect that the idea that pop groups and sports stars should boycott countries run by unpleasant regimes is a pretty modern one and it certainly wasn't happening much when the fab four went to Spain.

On the other hand, it was less than 20 years since the Allies had been fighting fascism in Europe, and 30 years since the International Brigades had been fighting the fascists in Spain including a sizable British contingent.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.