What kind of pots for a MIJ Epiphone?

What's Hot
I've got a 2000 Japanese Epi Les Paul, does anyone know off hand what kind of pots I'd need to get to re-wire it? The bridge volume pot is a bit squirrely and I think I'd like to try '50s wiring anyway. Long/short shaft etc etc? And what's a nice stiff (ooh er etc etc) pot in terms of resistance to rotation? I've had alphas before that spin way too easily...

I know I could get one out and check but it'll be a while before I can get to the guitar and I'd like to have the parts ready to go when its new neck pickup arrives.

Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've used guitartekpro on ebay for a 335 harness with bourns pots. It was well made and he was helpful. This is one of his les paul ones:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194236750599

I don't have the guitar to hand but I don't think they were especially stiff. However the taper was nice and his wiring robust enough to survive being dragged into a semi-acoustic. One thing to bear in mind is that you may need to enlarge the holes on the guitar and get new knobs depending on the size of your existing ones and what you replace them with.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7028
    tFB Trader
    telehack said:
    I've used guitartekpro on ebay for a 335 harness with bourns pots. It was well made and he was helpful. This is one of his les paul ones:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194236750599

Those Bourns pots are quite low friction compared to CTS pots.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    So just to recap so far...

The answer to the question of what pots would be drop in replacements and also which brand has the stiffest rotation is to buy a wiring loom that might require enlarging the holes and also has low friction pots.

This forum needs a proper laughing emoji.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cirrus said:
    So just to recap so far...

The answer to the question of what pots would be drop in replacements and also which brand has the stiffest rotation is to buy a wiring loom that might require enlarging the holes and also has low friction pots.

This forum needs a proper laughing emoji.
    Well, I'm sorry I wasn't able to give you a specific recommendation on stiffer pots. I was only pointing out one person who I think makes pretty good looms and will probably use whatever pots you want upon request. I'll leave others with more pot knowledge to chime in on who makes the stiffest ones.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    I CHALLENGE YOU SIR