Silverburst refinishing

What's Hot
Hey,

So for about 15 years now I’ve been wanting an 84 silverburst les Paul custom but alas due to their rise in popularity (and price) it’s looking like it’ll never happen. So, I was thinking that an alternative might be to buy an Orville by Gibson and get it refinished in an aged silverburst with the proper teardrop burst. Now I like my silverbursts all yellow and greened out and as I understand it happened to the originals because the nitro clearcoat finish reacted with sunlight which led to it yellowing over time and while the silver paint underneath remained silver, the yellowed clear coat created this sort of greenish effect.

I was just wondering if it’s something that can be replicated today (as I’m sure clear coat is quite different now with more plasticisers, etc in it) so I don’t even know if it’s achievable. If it is I’d be interested to hear recommendations that people might have for folks that do refins that could produce a nice aged greenish silverburst.

thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • indeed…would be one of my first choices but I don’t think they’re doing stripping and refin jobs any more…however if @GoldenEraGuitars even has some advice on the possibility of whether it’s something that can be achieved that would be great
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16672
    It's would just need spraying with an appropriately tinted top coat to match the years of natural discolouration.

The usual amber and light tints might not be quite right for the greener look these can have.  The sprayer should be able sort that easily enough.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • T.AvonT.Avon Frets: 25
    I’ll take one as well if you work it out!

I had a ‘79 about 10 years ago, that had a pretty reasonable neck break at some point. It was a boat anchor and not fantastic sounding but looked really cool. Sold it for £1,600, think it might be worth a couple of quid more now!
  • I would think that @lamf68 would be able to help you with this
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    I bloody love a silverburst Custom too! I was going to get my SG refinished in Silverburst and @lamf68 quoted me a great price, but I wanted the grey silver rather than green which would clash with my cream binding, so I decided against it in the end. 

It might be worth holding out for the Adam Jones Epiphone which I think is meant to be out this year? I know it's not a Gibson but probably as close as you'll get without spending a small fortune.
  • WezV said:
    It's would just need spraying with an appropriately tinted top coat to match the years of natural discolouration.

The usual amber and light tints might not be quite right for the greener look these can have.  The sprayer should be able sort that easily enough.
    And/or a sprayer with UV lighting in his repertoire 
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    I’d deffo give @lamf68 a shout on this
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    A silverburst is good, a goldburst is better  :)
  • Defo sounds like @lamf68 can do it so that’s good news. Just need to start looking for a reasonably priced Orville by Gibson
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    How bothered about the detail are you. Most Orville customs will be a rosewood board. I don’t think it’d look as good against the silver burst as ebony. 

There’s a few ObG models with ebony boards though (I think). 
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • DrBob said:
    I’d deffo give @lamf68 a shout on this
    I keep meaning to get my Greco over to him for the same reasons!
  • Iamnobody said:
    How bothered about the detail are you. Most Orville customs will be a rosewood board. I don’t think it’d look as good against the silver burst as ebony. 

There’s a few ObG models with ebony boards though (I think). 
    This is true, I bought an ebony-boarded Greco instead with this very thing in mind :)
  • @Lamf68 - is it easier for you to do two of these at once, a matched pair if you will? Maybe OP and I can sync up on timings :mrgreen: 
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1648
    Rich (@lamf68) did a silver sparkle-burst on a Jazzmaster for me (silverburst but the silver is sparkly... like me) and he absolutely knocked it out the park.
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    Yep - @lamf68 is your man for this. 
  • Hey,

So for about 15 years now I’ve been wanting an 84 silverburst les Paul custom but alas due to their rise in popularity (and price) it’s looking like it’ll never happen. So, I was thinking that an alternative might be to buy an Orville by Gibson and get it refinished in an aged silverburst with the proper teardrop burst. Now I like my silverbursts all yellow and greened out and as I understand it happened to the originals because the nitro clearcoat finish reacted with sunlight which led to it yellowing over time and while the silver paint underneath remained silver, the yellowed clear coat created this sort of greenish effect.

I was just wondering if it’s something that can be replicated today (as I’m sure clear coat is quite different now with more plasticisers, etc in it) so I don’t even know if it’s achievable. If it is I’d be interested to hear recommendations that people might have for folks that do refins that could produce a nice aged greenish silverburst.

thanks
    Have you considered having a body and neck finished to your specs?

Precision Guitar Kits do LP style builds, you could then have it sent to be finished to your liking. I imagine there are others as well. 

This is what I would do myself, as then I could choose a Mahogany cap instead of maple, have an ebony board, also choose your fretwire thickness and so on.
  • lamf68lamf68 Frets: 851
    @Lamf68 - is it easier for you to do two of these at once, a matched pair if you will? Maybe OP and I can sync up on timings :mrgreen: 
    No odds to me mate, it’s one of the few finishes I will bother doing these days! Glad there’s still people with a desire for an interesting colour.