Drill press recommendations?

What's Hot
Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced small drill press that has enough clearance between the chuck and the pillar to work on guitars with? Most I’m looking at wouldn’t allow you to drill, say, bridge holes in a strat, etc.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 17493
    Without going massive, most drill presses won't be able to drill bridge and string through holes on all guitars, especially those inner string or mounting screw holes.   

But with a smallish drill press you can make yourself some jigs to help with hand drilling
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9127
    Unless you’re thinking of a large, floor standing pillar drill then you’re better off with a hand drill in a stand which is clamped over the guitar body like this:

Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    You can also use it as a bobbin sander:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28438
    a reasonably priced
    That can mean anything from £50 to £1000, depending on your situation!

Ate you happy/able to fix up something s/h that’s sat neglected in the corner of an old man’s (or old woman’s) shed, or does it need to be new & warrantied?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • JazzthatJazzthat Frets: 163
    Roland said:
    You can also use it as a bobbin sander:

Any links for drill stand and bobbin attachment @Roland ; ? Looks really handy and I could certainly do with one of those .
    No links. It’s something I inherited, and gave away when I got my pillar drill. However I do have a picture:

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 9013
    Is that a blue Morrisons supermarket plastic storage tote?  Tut, tut :)
  • Roland said:
    Unless you’re thinking of a large, floor standing pillar drill then you’re better off with a hand drill in a stand which is clamped over the guitar body like this:

Yea I was thinking that might be the way to go - cheers!
  • TTony said:
    a reasonably priced
    That can mean anything from £50 to £1000, depending on your situation!

Ate you happy/able to fix up something s/h that’s sat neglected in the corner of an old man’s (or old woman’s) shed, or does it need to be new & warrantied?
    Probably around £200 but I have one of those handy father in laws who can fix up an older piece of kit!
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 3095
    tFB Trader
    To get at Fender string-through holes you need 6" throat depth min, maybe 6.5". I think my last drill was 6", poss 6,5", but best measure up a body... with that you just rotate the body 180 degrees to get 'em all done.

You might find a Fobco or Meddings benchtop drill for that sort of money. Mine was, but ended up getting a new motor (came with a 1ph which gives the opportunity to use a VFD box get speed control and reverse on the box. Too complicated for me though).
    Obviously check it's good, listen for bearing rumbles, lower the spindle and check for runout. Most have the 'smile of shame' on the table (drill hole scars) but that's not a problem.

My prev one was a giant solid old Korean thing, £80, lasted donkeys but eventually got shot and no parts available. I'd choose a Brit one every time for ~£200 region over a modern one. Even if needing minor work. Most are very rebuildable, not much to them and simple & solid, long-lasting.