EU Vacuum Cleaner madness

What's Hot
SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
edited August 2014 in Off Topic

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28878432

I don't have any issues with this, except from 2017, Henry will also be banned as he runs at 1200W.

This is nuts of the highest order, haven't Germany just committed to opening a whole new line of coal power stations?

Is there some sort of new, ultra efficient motor technology that I am unaware of or are we gonna be left with machines that chase the dust around all day?

Next they will be banning power tools.  No sorry you will have a use a 900W table saw to cut that 2 inch thick piece of mahogany or take it to a licensed professional...

Do they not understand that using a 900W vacuum for five times as long to do the same job as a 1200W uses 3.3Kwh more energy?

And the thing that grates me the most is that it was probably a British politician that came up with the idea, afterall he probably has no idea about vacuuming as he probably employs illegal immigrants to do his cleaning.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Have a nice cup of tea and a biscuit.
    My V key is broken
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

No I certainly won't!

I can't believe people aren't commenting on this, it's like the most important thing to come out of Brussels...like....EVER!

What a bunch of male chauvinists you all are, I'm leaving for Mumsnet where I can get a decent discussion.

This is an outrage!

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    edited August 2014
    I'm just glad that there's nothing else wrong in the EU.  

If this was the most important use of 8 years wages and expenses for bureaucrats we must be in a great place. 

My vacuum cleaners on for maybe 20 hours a year, so it clearly contributes most of my carbon footprint.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11440
    This would be the EU that is so corrupt that the auditors have refused to sign off the accounts for over a decade. Perhaps that would be something that should occupy their time rather than regulations of colossal stupidity and unimportance.

Honestly, they can all fuck off right now. There is no need to meddle in things that should remain unmeddled.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Seems like I should get a Henry sooner rather than later then. Well, I want one that can shampoo carpets too, I can't remember what he's called. George I think.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4071
    Sambostar said:

This is an outrage!

It sucks?
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73074
    holnrew said:
    Seems like I should get a Henry sooner rather than later then.
    I think I might do as well… was thinking of a new Dyson when mine falls apart (it's starting to) but my old Nilfisk GS90 in the workshop - what most professional cleaners used before the Henry - is getting a bit long in the tooth too. The floor head literally disintegrated when I dropped it a few months ago.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

My V key is broken
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16075

don't know who is responsible for the proposed ruling regarding our prisons, that steel guitar strings are tae be banned. 

the inmates will have tae make do with strangling one another with nylon strings I suppose......

tae be or not tae be
  • As ever reporting of EU issues is chock full of shrill nonsense. This is merely a drive to force manufacturers to offer better and more efficient equipment to consumers. It has already done so with televisions and fridges. No Brussels stormtroopers are not coming for your Hoovers.

"1) There is NO ban on vacuum cleaners that suck powerfully. The ban is on cleaners that use too much energy and/or are not energy efficient. The new rules include requirements for performance in picking up dust, on noise, on the amount of dust escaping from the cleaner (important for asthma sufferers) and on the durability of components.

2) It is perfectly possible to have high-performance vacuum cleaners which are energy efficient. As “Which?” magazine (see below) itself makes clear, some of the models on its best buy list already conform to the new rules.

3) Obviously more energy efficient appliances are good for consumers, who will have reduced energy bills and in this case quieter vacuum cleaners into the bargain. The new labelling system will help them make informed choices.

4) The new rules are based on a tried and tested approach which has already delivered results for all sorts of other appliances and made life easier and cheaper for consumers. A similar labelling system was introduced for fridges and freezers 20 years ago. They now use only one-third of the electricity they did then. Two years after regulations were introduced for television sets, 70% of those on the market were in the top class for energy efficiency.

5) Markets alone won’t make improvements in energy efficiency happen, at least not quickly. Innovation often needs to be given a push. Business wants certainty over the rules and to be sure that competitors will not be able to steal a short-term advantage by continuing to produce and market inefficient appliances.

6) The above might be one reason why most vacuum cleaner manufacturers supported the new rules when the industry was (extensively) consulted. The UK government also supported the rules- Member States could have blocked them had they wished

7) Lower household energy use also means lower emissions, helps tackle climate change and is a contribution to Europe being less dependent on energy imported from Russia and the Middle East.

8) As we pointed out last year, studies have shown that more efficient vacuum cleaners would save 19 terawatt hours (TWh) of energy annually in the EU by 2020. As a comparison, that amount of energy would keep the London Underground running for up to twenty years.

9) The system for vacuum cleaners will not be “self-regulating” as “Which?” claimed and other media repeated: national authorities will check that labels correspond to reality.

10) Given that the EU labelling system is not rating overall performance but only one aspect of it – energy efficiency – it is not surprising that EU ratings do not give the same results as “Which?’s” more general ones."

Source and links to quoted articles.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10413
    What's a vacuum cleaner?
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    What's a vacuum cleaner?

Mostly it's women to blame for global warming... doh....climate change...obviously caused by them idling their 4x4's in the traffic they cause on the school run and shopping and milling about in them doing not much particularly and of course vacuuming
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    What's a vacuum cleaner?
    Not too sure but I suspect it may be that lifeless thing I trip or climb over in the hall. Haven't a bloody clue what it does beyond scaring the cats and any dogs.
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    Well I've decided to sell our vacuum cleaner. After all it was just gathering dust :(|)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10775
    Sambostar said:
    What's a vacuum cleaner?

Mostly it's women

:)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    johnnyurq said:
    What's a vacuum cleaner?
    Not too sure but I suspect it may be that lifeless thing I trip or climb over in the hall.
    You want to get this checked, because that may be a body.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    imalone said:
    johnnyurq said:
    What's a vacuum cleaner?
    Not too sure but I suspect it may be that lifeless thing I trip or climb over in the hall.
    You want to get this checked, because that may be a body.
    LOL.

Nah I have poked (fnaar fnaar) and kicked it in case it bites but it just sat there with its long nose and funny attachemets looking dumb.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Utter idiocy. Just buy a building site one. About twice the power of a Henry and not covered by this regulatory idiocy.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24694
    As ever reporting of EU issues is chock full of shrill nonsense. This is merely a drive to force manufacturers to offer better and more efficient equipment to consumers. It has already done so with televisions and fridges. No Brussels stormtroopers are not coming for your Hoovers.

"1) There is NO ban on vacuum cleaners that suck powerfully. The ban is on cleaners that use too much energy and/or are not energy efficient. The new rules include requirements for performance in picking up dust, on noise, on the amount of dust escaping from the cleaner (important for asthma sufferers) and on the durability of components.

2) It is perfectly possible to have high-performance vacuum cleaners which are energy efficient. As “Which?” magazine (see below) itself makes clear, some of the models on its best buy list already conform to the new rules.

3) Obviously more energy efficient appliances are good for consumers, who will have reduced energy bills and in this case quieter vacuum cleaners into the bargain. The new labelling system will help them make informed choices.

4) The new rules are based on a tried and tested approach which has already delivered results for all sorts of other appliances and made life easier and cheaper for consumers. A similar labelling system was introduced for fridges and freezers 20 years ago. They now use only one-third of the electricity they did then. Two years after regulations were introduced for television sets, 70% of those on the market were in the top class for energy efficiency.

5) Markets alone won’t make improvements in energy efficiency happen, at least not quickly. Innovation often needs to be given a push. Business wants certainty over the rules and to be sure that competitors will not be able to steal a short-term advantage by continuing to produce and market inefficient appliances.

6) The above might be one reason why most vacuum cleaner manufacturers supported the new rules when the industry was (extensively) consulted. The UK government also supported the rules- Member States could have blocked them had they wished

7) Lower household energy use also means lower emissions, helps tackle climate change and is a contribution to Europe being less dependent on energy imported from Russia and the Middle East.

8) As we pointed out last year, studies have shown that more efficient vacuum cleaners would save 19 terawatt hours (TWh) of energy annually in the EU by 2020. As a comparison, that amount of energy would keep the London Underground running for up to twenty years.

9) The system for vacuum cleaners will not be “self-regulating” as “Which?” claimed and other media repeated: national authorities will check that labels correspond to reality.

10) Given that the EU labelling system is not rating overall performance but only one aspect of it – energy efficiency – it is not surprising that EU ratings do not give the same results as “Which?’s” more general ones."

Source and links to quoted articles.

Yesyesyesyes - that's all very well, but (ignores all evidence that counters blind xenophobic viewpoint) - IT'S THOSE LOT IN BRUSSELS !!  IT'S POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD.  Have you heard we won't be able to call them 'hoovers' anymore too - they will be termed 'vacuum-system detritus removers'.  I tell you, it's about time we stuck two fingers up to that mad bunch of foreigners.  (Sings) - There'll always be an England, and England shall be free,,,,

Ye ken tek our lives but ye ken neva tek our HOOOOOOOVAAAHHHHSSS !!!!!!!!! 
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10413
    The EU know what they're on about regarding this subject.Afterall they've been hoovering up my taxes for years.

Groan!!!
    Laugh, love, live, learn.