Mac OS Monterey?

What's Hot
Is the collective borg upgrading yet?
Will it break everything?
I actually completely missed BigSur while waiting for everything to be confirmed ok.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It broke pretty much all of my waves plug-ins 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6832
    edited January 2022
    I still haven’t gone to Sir Bug because the previous one (Twatalina) fucked up my protools and the company were asking for £850 to upgrade....

Fuck that and hello Reaper.
  • dariusdarius Frets: 673
    Running Logic, SSL plug-ins, Arturia plug-ins, NeuralDsp plug-ins.
    On a non M1 iMac. 
    Experiences?
  • dariusdarius Frets: 673
    And can I go from Catalina to Big Sur while waiting for Monterey? Can’t see the option for that, and knowing Apple obsession with removing old versions forever…
  • distresseddistressed Frets: 551
    edited January 2022
    You can't upgrade to Big Sur via Software Update. You have to manually download installer and do it yourself.

Speaking of Monterey, it still looks like a hot mess for many (not only for audio stuff), I personally don't recommend upgrading at this stage.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6308
    Thanks, but no thanks.
  • Soundtoys, native and wavesfactory plug-ins all working fine on logic I should add. Installed new drivers for focusrite and motu hardware and they’re working too. 
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 256
    I’ve had an interesting day. I was already on Monterey using GarageBand and Logic, and yesterday a Boss IR-200 arrived.

I tried just connecting it, but it didn’t appear as a USB input, and I then realised it needs a proprietary driver, which doesn’t yet exist for macOS 12. So I decided to downgrade my MacBook Pro back to Big Sur.

That initially failed, and bricked it, eventually resulting in having to wipe the hard disk and reinstall from scratch, then the applications and plug-ins. After all that I installed the driver, and it still didn’t work. As Boss don’t give you a USB cable, I’d been using a phone cable, but had ordered a longer one from Amazon. This suddenly arrived, and now everything worked!

However, before I set to downgrading my iMac I decided to try the macOS 11 driver, and unfortunately it worked, meaning that the whole downgrading had been needless!

So I upgraded the laptop back to Monterey.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Does anybody remember the heady days of 2008, when big software companies actually cared about their customers and backwards compatibility?

These days, it seems like the only people who consider that important to think about are the open source crowd, but nobody uses enough of it to make a difference.

We just seem to have collectively accepted that all our shit's going to break every year or two, and that's totally letting these cowboys off the hook.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm stuck (it doesn't feel like it, but you know what I mean) on Catalina because I'm running a mid-2012 MBPro that's still working well. No more updates available. I'm quite happy here running Logic. 
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7212
    Nah, fuck upgrading the OS if you make music, still funky as hell on loads of software/plugins 

Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33984
    darius said:
    Running Logic, SSL plug-ins, Arturia plug-ins, NeuralDsp plug-ins.
    On a non M1 iMac. 
    Experiences?
    I would wait.
    I have one system (M1Max 14" MBP) with the new processor on Monterey. 
    The essentials work (Logic with stock plugins) but there are all sorts of gremlins.

• SnapSnap Frets: 6271
    Serious question - if all your setup is working fine, why bother upgrading the OS? 
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 256
    edited January 2022
    Snap said:
    Serious question - if all your setup is working fine, why bother upgrading the OS? 
    One reason might be because sometimes the latest version of an application requires it. For example the latest Logic Pro requires at least macOS 11.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10563
    It's a good idea to use disk utility to image your drive to an external USB. Then boot from that external drive, upgrade that and if everything works then upgrade the internal SSD. I have 2 OS's on my main Macbook, one on the SSD and one in the card slot for this reason. 

In general though I agree with @Snap ; ... if it's running fine leave it be 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6271
    It seems that Mac OS upgrades give little overall benefit but generally cause multiple issues with audio software. Whereas Windows has moved away from that and mostly, OS upgrades are incident free, IME of course.

I've held off upgrades unless they contain something I really need, seem to be more trouble than they are worth and more about benefits to the software provider than the user these days
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve just bought a 2015 iMac got the latest Logic Pro x on it and dexed .
      Just waiting for boss to update the drivers ,tone studio etc for my Boss GT1.

I’m not sure if HX stomp software drivers are ready for Monterey yet .

I do have an old high Sierra laptop to see me through 
  • Snap said:
    It seems that Mac OS upgrades give little overall benefit but generally cause multiple issues with audio software. Whereas Windows has moved away from that and mostly, OS upgrades are incident free, IME of course.

I've held off upgrades unless they contain something I really need, seem to be more trouble than they are worth and more about benefits to the software provider than the user these days
    It's worth being careful before upgrading the OS on a Mac. Line 6 and other product vendors seem to always be late in supporting the new release of macOS. 
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 829
    During my recent experiments with a Raspberry Pi / Reaper, I came across the 'Twister' OS, which has theme switching built in.
    You can choose to have the Pi act as Win 95, Vista, Win 7, Win 10, and various Mac light and dark versions.
    I know it isn't a great example, but it did make me think how gullible we all were.
    Especially with Windows, 'upgrades' were usually just re-mixes of the look of the OS, and more attempts to get us locked in to the OS, the cynic in me thinks this was all very deliberate.
    I would like to see a compensation scheme for all the lost hours I have put in doing failed Win 10 updates / restores, and it was one of the deciding factors to move away from Microsoft completely.
    It is sad to see Mac appear to be doing the same thing more obviously now, and are making sure their hardware requires it.
    I have 2 MBP that have reached the end of their update cycle, so at least they are frozen in a state where they work as they should, and will only fail when the hardware gives up, I have a couple of Windows machines that are now only usable offline, as the OS seems to have a mind of it's own as to when and how it will try to update itself. It drives me crazy that I have invested so much time and money into them, with the manufacturers deciding when they should die, by update.
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1966
    I’m running Logic on a shiny new M1 Mac Mini with Monterey. I tried to move the library to my external 2TB SSD but it won’t let me. I am somewhat annoyed to say the least.