Stereo into Mono input on amp

RockerRocker Frets: 4986
edited January 2022 in Other Instruments
What device do I need to input a stereo signal into a mono input on my amp?  Thanks 
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Is it hifi or some other source?

You will need some sort of converter which you can buy or make if it's HIFi. There's an explanation here https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1354501 (see the post by Uncle Bulgaria) if you wanted to make one. There will be other explanations online, just avoid any that say to simply solder the two signal wires together.

• RockerRocker Frets: 4986
    edited January 2022
    Thanks @MartinBush, I thought that it was not as simple as joining the two stereo hot wires. I want to use my Zen player into the mono input of me Xenyx mixer. To provide some background music......
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• You can connect two wires - I am sure I will have done that in the past when I knew no better :) 

Try this 

It explains why you need to use resisters and not do the two wire bodge. The one thing that strikes me is that unless you have the bits it could involve a bit more cost and faff than you want to get into. If you have the bits then it's easy and cheap :)
  • Rocker said:
     I want to use my Zen player into the mono input of me Xenyx mixer. To provide some background music......
    If you have enough spare input channels, simply plug the left and right signals from the music player into SEPARATE channels on the Xenyx mixer and pan them both centrally.

Rocker said:
     I want to use my Zen player into the mono input of me Xenyx mixer. To provide some background music......
    If you have enough spare input channels, simply plug the left and right signals from the music player into SEPARATE channels on the Xenyx mixer and pan them both centrally.

That is a very interesting suggestion, I will give it a try.  Thanks.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Curious which xynyx is it? Even the smallest one has stereo in puts as well as 2track ie stereo in on phono
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    Problem solved.  Thanks @maltingsaudio, there is a stereo input that outputs in mono through the main output socket.  The unit I have is a Xenyx 802.  I printed out the manual which I found online and this confirmed what you said.  That little mixer has lots of features and is more capable than it's low price would suggest.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum