Tascam bring back the cassette!

A new Type II  cassette has been launched. Cobalt-based rather than Chromium, but apparently optimised for old Tascam Portastudios. US only at the moment however.

I practically grew up on cassettes - I am currently working through a box of 4-track recordings I did with a friend in the 90s. I haven’t used my Portastudio for anything new though, as I only have one unused SA90 left. If these become available here, put me down for a box!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Very interesting in these days of DAWS and unlimited tracks to be bringing the cassette back for 4/8 track dinosaurs. I’ll be interested to see the UK price if they make them available here.  Type II metal tapes had a really nice warm quality on the old Tascams back in the day.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10915
    I'm told you can make stuff sound pretty decent on a tascam portastudio if you know your way around a parametric EQ

My first recording experience was on one of those too. It was great fun
    This guy in NZ had an underground hit with an EP he recorded on a tascam and ended up supporting Blur when they played there in 1997

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73055
    roberty said:
    I'm told you can make stuff sound pretty decent on a tascam portastudio if you know your way around a parametric EQ
    Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska album was recorded on one - a Teac (Tascam) 144.

The recordings were originally intended as demos - but Springsteen didn't think the versions could be improved on, so they mastered the album from them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Ooh good trivia @ICBM I did not know that
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5601
    I think that's why it's called Nebraska. I'm pretty sure he went to a cabin in Nebraska to write new songs, took the multitrack with him, and that was that.
    Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though, I'm no Springsteen expert!
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9779
    edited January 2022
    He also had a pair of SM57s and an Echoplex that gives the slapback on some of the vocals.

https://tascam.com/us/support/news/481

Also says it was recorded in his house in New Jersey.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2384
    I still have an Aiwa stereo cassette deck in my home studio. I occasionally use it to transfer friends' old band recordings onto CD.

In the 90s I got some quite good results recording on a Tascam 4-track cassette and mixing down to MiniDisc - I've still got an MD deck too! But I definitely don't miss cassette as a recording medium.

@thermionic I have 3 unused TDK Type II tapes you can have - 2x SA90, 1x CDing2 74 (chrome).

For anyone interested in old audio formats, check out Techmoan on YouTube.