Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitar help...

What's Hot

Comments

• bertie said:
    Dyson have started manufacturing guitars

they suck
    oh man...it took me a while before i got that...almost typed in "Dyson guitars" in google...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    +1 for the Edwards LP guitars. I've got an '04 E-LP-85SD and it comes damn close to the 'real thing' for a lot less cash - did an A/B against a mate's beautiful Les Paul and there wasn't much in it. Seymour Duncan pickups, Gotoh hardware and just really well assembled and finished. I'd buy another Edwards in a heartbeat.
  • Somebody is selling a Washburn custom thingy in the classifieds, sounds like a pretty fair deal and has a bit of individuality about the shape. 
  • so...i think i have narrowed it down...

on the high end there's the Edwards/Tokai Les Paul (£500'ish)

In the middle there's the Yamaha SG300 (£450'ish)

and on the cheap is either the BC Rich Mockingbird or the Westbury Standard or even Ibanez AR300

i think i've sold one of my guitars...i now need to sell the other and then i can make decision on of the above.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73047
    The Westbury is probably the best guitar there, irrespective of price.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• yeah i like the Westbury...not only does it get really good right ups...but the price is perfect, because ideally i want to save money on the guitar purge.

my only issue with it is that its black...and then i will have 2 black guitars...I know...i'm all show and no go!

but, does anyone know how much it would cost to refinish the top? so for example if i wanted to get the top done in silverburst...? we talking hunderd's of pounds?
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    ICBM said:
    The Westbury is probably the best guitar there, irrespective of price.
    Yep. As I said earlier, I wouldn't hesitate to get one again. I would have that one off eBay if I had the readies.

• Westburys get some good reviews. I've had two and didn't really think much myself. Good value used - I paid less than a ton for both. There's loads of thick poly finish to remove if you are looking at a refin.

Previously known as stevebrum
  • geepers0677geepers0677 Frets: 119
    edited September 2013
    Michael Kelly Patriot - check out the reviews and the price. Superb.

• yeah i've looked into those...i just cant bond with the shape of that guitar, that slanted LP shape just does nothing for me...

i'm now stuck between the westbury and the mockingbird...

i need to save some money, otherwise i would get that Edwards LP john sykes model...thats really nice...then again when i get all the cash i might lose my mind and get it....hmmm....

• As someone once said - 'only a Gibson is good enough'. OK, that someone was actually Gibson, but personally I would look for a decent LP Studio and try to find one that is no heavier than about 9lbs. I'd rather have a Gibbo hanging round my neck than a copy any day of the week, and you only live once!

(Cue the usual comments about 'superior' quality Japanese guitars...)
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    fretfinder;33276" said:
    As someone once said - 'only a Gibson is good enough'. OK, that someone was actually Gibson, but personally I would look for a decent LP Studio and try to find one that is no heavier than about 9lbs. I'd rather have a Gibbo hanging round my neck than a copy any day of the week, and you only live once!

(Cue the usual comments about 'superior' quality Japanese guitars...)

+1
  • Alread have a Gibbi SG, so im covered...this is more of a search for a second guitar.

But i know what you mean...which is why i had to buy one Gibson in my life!
  • samzadgan said:
    Alread have a Gibbi SG, so im covered...this is more of a search for a second guitar.

But i know what you mean...which is why i had to buy one Gibson in my life!
    Two Gibsons is better than one...? I Don't know if you already have a Strat or Tele, but Fender and Gibson make a good pairing!
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Interesting that you already have an SG and are looking for another Gibson-esque guitar. Most people tend to look for something 'Fender-y'. 
    I was going to describe the Westbury as 'a bit like an SG' earlier (as far as my memory serves, so possibly not that reliable a description!).
  • Yeah i hear the fender argument, and i was considering a blacktop jag...but thats about all i would consider on the fender side, never been a big fan...not sure why...i had a strat for a while and i fell out of love with it very quickly.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73047
    dogload said:
    I was going to describe the Westbury as 'a bit like an SG' earlier (as far as my memory serves, so possibly not that reliable a description!).
    They are - or at least closer to an SG than to a Les Paul, despite the initial impression from the shape.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• What about a telecaster? Fair play if you have tried one and don't like them, but if not have a play if you get chance - and then let us know when you subsequently buy one!

Previously known as stevebrum
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    Iamnobody;33405" said:
    What about a telecaster? Fair play if you have tried one and don't like them, but if not have a play if you get chance - and then let us know when you subsequently buy one!

As a les Paul man for 20 years , I completely agree with this , in fact I can't believe I'm saying this but I prefer the tele :-?
  • Well, this is embarrasing...my guitars didnt sell...so nothing being this week...

As for telecaster, i was interested in the baritone tele...but played one in the shop and it felt horrible. Maybe it was the way they had it setup...but ill give it a go again, maybe just a regular scale one