Boss HM-2 as a fuzz?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17943
    tFB Trader
    I'd be really wary of a Fuzz Factory for live use. It's an amazing pedal, but it's so easy to clip a dial with your foot because of the stupid form factor and end up with deafening shrieking feedback that will clear a room. 
    You only have to do that once at a gig (and I have) and you never trust it again.

The Swollen Pickle is fab if you want something muff like, 

RAT does the nasty distortion really well.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Had to laugh at that @monquixote. I haven't done that live but I have done it. "Just switch this on.....Aaaaargh! Aaaaaargh!"

Mastotron was much better. Wish I hadn't sold it.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    i love the fear factor of the fuzz factory. It is my danger pedal. I have mine on the edge of my board to avoid kicking the dials with my feet. 

Its the best fuzz I have had, the swollen pickle is damn good too.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 699

Yeah, I used to use a RAT years ago but basically just as a boost for solos as I didn't like the distortion. I think it may be time to revisit it.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2955
    Also you could try the EHX Nano Muff. It's a fuzzy OD and sounds great for that garagey-punk styling. Piss-cheap as well.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17943
    tFB Trader
    daveyh said:

Yeah, I used to use a RAT years ago but basically just as a boost for solos as I didn't like the distortion. I think it may be time to revisit it.
    Actually you might want to try the "You DIrty RAT" it's almost a cross between a RAT and a Fuzz Face.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 699
    daveyh said:

Actually you might want to try the "You DIrty RAT" it's almost a cross between a RAT and a Fuzz Face.
    Okay then, cheers!
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    monquixote;332142" said:
    daveyh said:

monquixote said:

This...i think its the best of the 3 rats currently available...except for the duecetone rat!
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    samzadgan;329748" said:
    it can be set to be fuzzy distortion...put the low on full and roll the highs off, its really nice.

it still quite tight though, you don't get that looseness of fuzz with it.
    And I'd also suggest the opposite for a different fuzz-like sound: in other words turn the high tone control up.
    It can make it sound like you're playing through a 3 inch speaker mounted in a biscuit tin.

Overall I'd say the HM can get fuzzy but it's not really a classic fuzz sound. What it can get you is an ultra gain, buzzsaw like sound with tons of sustain. But it doesn't spit, snarl and get all crackly on you like classic fuzzes.

Versatile though.