Invitation to participate in my study of improvisation in Jazz.

failed_astronautfailed_astronaut Frets: 216
edited January 2022 in Theory

Hi everybody, I hope it's ok to reach out to the group for some help with this.

There's always so much brilliant advice whenever someone posts a question about music theory that I hoped some of those with a predilection towards Jazz wouldn't mind answering a few questions on how they learned to play and improvise.

I am a 4th year Applied Music student at the University of Highlands and Islands. As part of my final project I have chosen to research improvisation within Jazz.

I have created this short survey to gather data on playing and learning experience and I would really appreciate any responses received as they will help me greatly in completing my research goal.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/658V9LV
"As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10709
    Done, cheers
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    I started it but realised I am quite the opposite of the target group, I hope any Jazz enthusiasts do fill it out tho.
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1653
    edited January 2022
    Hiya. I've filled it out... but knowing what you're trying to understand or actual question you're trying to answer might make it a bit easier. 'How did you learn to improvise' is so broad and not necessarily how I'd answer the question 'how should you learn' if that's what you're trying to get to the bottom of.

• Thanks so much for everyone's participation so far, there's been a wide range of responses and thoughts shared. It's going to make for some interesting data analysis!
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 466
    I missed the cut off apparently.  story of my life ...

• Sorry @joeW i left it open for about 10 days and got as much data as I needed. Thanks for your interest though.