Looking for valve front end stereo channel for home studio

stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7212
edited January 2022 in Studio & Recording
I'm searching for a stereo front end for my home studio, I used to sell music technology in the late '90s and so am aware of budget gear like TLA Ivory Series, DBX 386 and all the others in that ballpark, like ART, etc 

Plus, I also know the high end gear, but I don't really need to spend 3-4k on a something that will only ever be used for home.So figured I would ask the collective wisdom on here, as you guys may well know of something that I have missed.

Ideally needs to be stereo and run at full voltage rather than starved plate etc, EQ and compression are added bonuses, though not essential. 

Any recommendations would be much appreciated, and Ideally look for something between 1U and 4U 19" rackable with both front and rear inputs if possible.
Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4757
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7897
    edited January 2022
    Most of them did not really sound tubey so a waste of money better spent on great speakers.

The UA 2-610 is what you probably actually want but discontinued.

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2435
    I don't really know of much new stuff between the ART level and the UA price point. If you're taking the budget route then ART are probably the best bet. The UA 610 is the most 'valvey' thing I've heard, which basically means it can end up being a fuzzbox if you're not careful. 

The other option might be to look out for something old. There are quite a few techs out there who repurpose the front ends from old tape machines and sell them on as valve preamps. 
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7212
    Ill start looking out for a UA 2-610, as might be the sort of thing I'm after. Though chances are I'm about to buy a few different valve preamps now.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4218
    The ART Pro is surprisingly good when you fit better valves, just because it’s cheap Uni wouldn’t discount it 
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7212
    edited January 2022
    sweepy said:
    The ART Pro is surprisingly good when you fit better valves, just because it’s cheap Uni wouldn’t discount it 
    More, a case of I just haven't tried that one. Though, I have owned a few of their mini valve pre amp boxes in the past and they were okay.

Just picked up a Drawmer 1960 and is on its way to me this week, so will see how I get on with that first.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4757

Does it have to be valve?  Probably just my perception but it sometimes equates to noise (again probably my just perception from cheaper units).  For colour and warmth I always seem to be drawn to character pre’s with transistors and transformers.

I did have one of those TLA Fatman things so not much to go off!
  • Have a look at the SPL GoldMike v1 and v2.