Voting for Solo of the Month (SotM) #78

What's Hot
Welcome to the voting thread for Solo of the Month (SotM) #78. Feel free to vote and comment in this thread.

Thanks to @Bellycaster for providing the backing track for this one.

Vote for your top 3 entries. If you're an entrant you can't vote for yourself.

1st choice gets 5 points
2nd choice gets 3 points
3rd choice gets 1 point

Voting will end at midnight 31st January 2022.

The top three will be announced after the voting closes. No prizes. It's just for fun.

You can find all the entries the playlist below:
It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1037
    Will listen again tomorrow, but @digitalkettle and @susbemol  - absolutely outstanding, some of the best I've heard here!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Will listen again tomorrow, but @digitalkettle and @susbemol  - absolutely outstanding, some of the best I've heard here!!
    Almost word for word what I was going to type - I’m going to listen to them all later to work out who gets third place . Absolutely outstanding work by @digitalkettle and @susbemol this month !
  • 5 pts @susbemol, beautiful tone, solo fits the arrangement perfectly
    3 pts @digitalkettle same as above, but a personal preference for above
    1 pt @fastonebaz , I liked how it turned the backing in something completely else. To be honest/honoust, my first thought was; where did the backing go? 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 5 pts @digitalkettle making fine use of my old Freqout
    3 pts @susbemol ....niiiice
    1 pts @IvanMc ; angular and metallic
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 463
    Woah - this is a fine vintage indeed - some beauts there.
    5 pts @susbemol - great melodic solo over the harmony, bang on time feel and sweet tone. amazeballs 
    3 pts ;
    1 pt @Bellycaster ;

Lovely backing track @bellycaster ;

• joeW said:
    5 pts @susbemol - great melodic solo over the harmony, bang on time feel and sweet tone. amazeballs 
    3 pts ;
    1 pt @Bellycaster ;

What no silver medal? :)

It's not a competition.
  • 5pts : @digitalkettle : Inventive and melodic. Loads of good ideas. Well executed with great feel and time. You have this way of turning on the speed without making it sound too intense. It's hard to explain why your solos sound so good to me. I'd (sort of) liken it to someone like Tim Pierce, where somehow it just 'sits right' through a combination of ideas, tone, feel and time.

3 pts : @susbemol : Very hard to choose between this and my 1st choice - an excellent solo and equally great. I think it just boils down to a slight style preference for the rockier side of things. Superb solo, tone and execution in a jazz style.

1 pt : @DrHungry : I really like the ideas and execution. The compressor is a bit too clicky for my taste but, otherwise, a great clean tone.

It's not a competition.
  • susbemolsusbemol Frets: 403
    edited January 2022
    5pts: @digitalkettle - Just (tape?) echoing what has already been said - awesome take on this! The very tasteful use of the feedback sound was a timely reminder that I really need a Digitech FreqOut for some projects I'm working on. 

3pts: @DrHungry - I liked how you approached it quite rhythmically. Also interesting how our entries had a couple of similar ideas. I promise I hadn't listened to anyone's entry beforehand though!

3pts: @IvanMC - Lovely fluidity in some of the lines.
  • 5pts @digitalkettle  - just one of the best things I've heard on here

3pts @susbemol - definitely more my style and really hard to put in second place as I loved it but I think digi's just nicked it

1pt @IvanMC  - ridiculous timing and fluidity
  • I thought they were all bloody terrible.

Only joking - here we go :) 

5 points @digitalkettle  ;
    3 points @susbemol ;
    1 point @IvanMC ;

These were all just great throughout - properly great playing by obviously very very accomplished players.

Taste, technique and tone in spades by all three players.

Aspirational stuff chaps!

I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
  • 5 points: @susbemol - lovely feel, phrasing, and tone...nuff said
    3 points: @IvanMC - maybe (I said maybe) the most eccentric entry...some cool idiosyncratic bits...the crazy slide out in the closing bars raised a chuckle too ;)
    1 point: @DrHungry - another entry on the jazzier side...could've done with being just a little more mellow...some great melodic stuff...very thoughtful

Fairly challenging backing track...brought out good ideas from everyone.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4106
    5pts @susbemol I mean,  come on,  it sounds like I've just switched on Jazz FM on the radio and the multi platinum best seller #1 jazz song of the year starts playing.  Effortlessly epic.

3pts @digitalkettle immensely inspired and must've taken ages with the various patches and passages overlaid.  I love the feedbacker especially.   Well played.

1pt @DrHungry I was impressed,  a very clean tone and varied attack and kept my attention throughout.   Nicely done.

I really love @stratman3142 tone it's so juicy and slippery.  
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1037
    5 pts - @digitalkettle - that was superb and right up my street. I absolutely loved the feedback bits - initially wondered whether it was a sustainer or you just adding a harmonic tap after the note.....should have thought of the freqout, I used to have one! Great playing and I love your style. 

3 pts - @susbemol - this was so close with the above - I just had to go with my slight individual preference style-wise I'm afraid. Great, great playing and the thing I loved the most was the sense of fun in it - and it sounded effortless. Brilliant. 

1 pt - @stratman3142 - always consistently very good indeed; lovely tone and phrasing, just had the misfortune to be in contention with the above 2 entries which'd be hard for anyone to beat!
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited January 2022

1 pt - @stratman3142 ... lovely tone...

The ampsim is Archetype Cory Wong (Neural DSP) which I got during a recent sale. The settings are just a slightly tweaked version of the 'Meditation Guitar Solo' Preset.

The guitar is my Ibanez AZ2204. I got an AZ2402 followed by an AZ2204 based on a recommendation from @Vibetronic a while back.

https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/196785/any-ideas-for-a-late-life-crisis-shred-guitar#latest

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 463
    joeW said:
    3 pts ;
    1 pt @Bellycaster ;

What no silver medal? :)

Ah yes - that would be @digitalkettle ;

• IvanMCIvanMC Frets: 91
    5 pts to @susbemol ; - it seems a wonderfully spontaneous performance. Great note selection and a clean jazzy tone. I can picture a lad picking up his guitar and going like 'all right then, let's have a go at this just for the sake of having some fun.' 1 take. Enuff. That's it. Nice and easy.
    3 points to @digitalkettle - loved the solo. Conscientious work involved, which I find as amazing as spontaneity. Brought me back to the 90s. Chocolate mousse for the ears.
    1 pt to @Bennyboy-UK - great tone. A great start, wildly romantic, as it were. Made me think of the end of a great movie.

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4106

1 pt - @stratman3142 ... lovely tone...

The ampsim is Archetype Cory Wong (Neural DSP) which I got during a recent sale. The settings are just a slightly tweaked version of the 'Meditation Guitar Solo' Preset.

The guitar is my Ibanez AZ2204. I got an AZ2402 followed by an AZ2204 based on a recommendation from @Vibetronic a while back.

https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/196785/any-ideas-for-a-late-life-crisis-shred-guitar#latest

Nice their demos sound great.   Think I need to bench out from my patches :)
  • 5 Points @digitalkettleLovely layers of tones and styles, very tasteful and that superb run from 32s. Wow.

3 Points @susbemol - Channelling George Benson, excellent jazzy phrases, super smooth playing.

1 Point @DrHungry - Another Jazzy one with so much versatility squeezed in.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • DrHungryDrHungry Frets: 116
    5 points - @susbemol I'm flattered that you say there were similarities between our entries! This was absolutely effortless, feels like you're completely in control of every nuance, every note in the pocket but still full of character and expression. Awesome.
    3 points - @digitalkettle I was too effusive with my praise last month to give you full points this time I'm afraid. Plus you've ignited GAS for Freqout that I can't afford. Cracking solo though!
    1 point - @stratman3142 Great tone and a lovely jaunty melody that fitted the backing just nicely. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Voting closes tonight at midnight. 
    It's not a competition.