Kemper home set up

What's Hot
DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3308
Does anyone here run one at home with a power amp etc.... or just use direct into computer?

I fancy one but I hate just using monitors.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3308
    Anyone?
  • David5150David5150 Frets: 118
    I use mine with headphones most the time for practice. When I can I fire it into an active electrovoice pa speaker. Whilst I'm also not a huge fan of studio monitors they work well with the kemper as you're getting the mixed up amp sound rather than an in the room sound from a normal amp
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I've only got a pair of AV40 M Audio speakers so I could upgrade them but that kinda defeats what I was wanting to do at home.

I like the idea of being able to shift it about my house which monitors would be a massive pain, well more the computer really.
    And oh, thanks mate.

:-)
    No worries. It's such a great bit of kit I can get a decent sound out of most things I plug it into.
    Sounds pretty ace to me, and would be cool to have as a really flexible home set up. 

Nick McCabe has ditched gigging all his amps and fancy rack gear to use one now. 
    For me live I'd still use a real amp. 
    I used to feel the same but with 20 gigs under my belt with the kemper I can honestly say I have never sounded so good live. Band mix is better, stage volume reduced-and I have people asking me what the stranger looking unit is with all these sounds in it
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • David5150;330858" said:
    I used to feel the same but with 20 gigs under my belt with the kemper I can honestly say I have never sounded so good live. Band mix is better, stage volume reduced-and I have people asking me what the stranger looking unit is with all these sounds in it
    Do you use a power amp and cab live or direct to pa with cab sims?
    I used to use it with a Marshall 20 20 amp into a blackstar 2x12 v30 cab. Not bad but a bit muffled. Then used a peavey solid state power amp with the same cab- a bit better. Now it's kemper straight into the pa. Sounds epic. Really clear and punchy sound that blends perfectly with the rest of the band. Used it Friday night and a couple of other guitar players said they were really impressed with the sound - mainly Marshall, diesel and vox tones
  • I use mine just for direct recording into studio monitors, sounds amazing!
    Not had great results through a power amp and cab, it's decent but my 5150iii sounds better in this setup.
    I've done a few gigs direct with various results, Kemper's great but you're at the mercy of the PA, which for me can be anything between a full festival type setup for thousands to a vocal PA in the back of a pub.
    I always take a decent active pa cab with me just in case the pub pa is shite
  • How do you find that works if you're just using it as backline?
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    Sorta related, but basically I've ended up here - Axe FX II for home recording. REal amp for live performance and rehearsals and what not.

Quite good really, because my effects setup is limited for the live show, which limits how crazy I get with the Axe FX. My Axe patches are incredibly simple, because if I cannot replicate something live, then I just wont bother.

So I could probably get by with a Kemper as well, but not much point flogging the Axe and getting a Kemper. If I thought the Pod HD would give me the recording tones I want, then I'd probably flog the Axe and get a cheaper unit. But the Axe really is a lot better than everything else I've got.

Kemper is great, but I don't think you'll like it through a real cab.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28098
    Drew_fx said:
    Sorta related, but basically I've ended up here - Axe FX II for home recording. REal amp for live performance and rehearsals and what not.

Same here, although I get my results through cheaper gear - Eleven Rack for recording at home, Jet City amps for live and a small pedalboard. For exactly the same reasons as you, in fact.

Definitely the way forward.
    <space for hire>
    Absolutely fine mate-once you dial the eq on these things in at gig volume you have what is in my opinion a perfect rig
    So at home do you guys run through just monitors? Amplitube while fun, sounds gash through mine, I wouldn't want to go this route, or save for and it be the same story or needing extras on top. 

Ideally if I believed it would replace a real amp then it would be a no brainer.  I use a lot of feedback in my band and I've never really found that possible with any modeller I've tried. 
    Kemper through active cab reacts just like an amp-feedback, guitar volume control to clean it up. Where are you mate? If you're near essex you're welcome to give mine a go
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    Yeah I'm running through monitors; Tannoy Reveals. Nothing special. I also use Beyerdynamic headphones, the DT770's. Feedback just requires mids and volume in the main. You can get it with any gear, even first gen pods.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28098
    Tannoy Reveal 6 monitors here. I find I can get feedback just fine with the Eleven (not so good with Amplitube or Revalver, though). Mind you, I tend to use a lot of gain for my recorded lead sounds - I just love the sound of the Eleven's SLO model just on the edge of all hell breaking loose ;)
    <space for hire>