First time in years had 6 Music on throughout the day

Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 749
Well, actually really enjoyed myself. A bit to ill to work properly (no local Doctor to sign me off this week at the moment). Nice mix of stuff and finally after sooooooooooooooooo long found myself just enjoying listening to music.

After my option paralysis with Spotify.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28452
    It’s where I go if I want to hear some different music that I know I’ll probably like.

Within any given hour, I’ll generally hear 2 or 3 new tracks that grab my attention, and then spend a little more time tracking down and listening to other stuff that they’ve released, and then work out where I can buy it. 

The DJs seem to be “proper” DJs-interested-in-music too, rather than “personalities with a radio show”.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 749
    TTony said:
    It’s where I go if I want to hear some different music that I know I’ll probably like.

Within any given hour, I’ll generally hear 2 or 3 new tracks that grab my attention, and then spend a little more time tracking down and listening to other stuff that they’ve released, and then work out where I can buy it. 

The DJs seem to be “proper” DJs-interested-in-music too, rather than “personalities with a radio show”.

Steve Lamacq still going strong! I still miss John Peel.....

I have really struggled with listening to music at all the last few years, been pretty much all podcasts and spoken word. No idea why. Just had a mental block with it. Today though, a bit of the magic has come back. Partly I am sure the wide selection of stuff that I wouldn't looked for helps.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5737
    6 Music is great and not nearly so playlist-based as other stations.
    I really enjoy Radio Paradise too, I listen using their app. It's a husband and wife in the States and they play a good mix of stuff (with not much interruption from them) and I have found loads of new stuff on there.
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 637
    They always play some great stuff I tend to have it on until Craig Charles comes on, find him a bit grating so shoot off to Planet Rock
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1763
    I feel it used to be a lot more white-boy-indie-college-alternative-smart-arse-guitar-music, which was perfect for me, but now it has become a lot more diverse, I actually prefer the experience of listening to it.

I do think some of the more recently appointed/promoted presenters aren't as pleasant to listen to as the old guard, but maybe that's just my demographic bias talking!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    DannyP said:
    I feel it used to be a lot more white-boy-indie-college-alternative-smart-arse-guitar-music, which was perfect for me, but now it has become a lot more diverse, I actually prefer the experience of listening to it.

I do think some of the more recently appointed/promoted presenters aren't as pleasant to listen to as the old guard, but maybe that's just my demographic bias talking!

The problem when it started was that rather than more experimental new music radio it seemed to be trying to be the evening session from 30 years ago so it would be constantly playing The Fall and talking about John Cooper Clarke which I had zero interest in 

It really seems to have found its feet now. I need to convince my wife to listen to it rather than R2 now. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    I generally have it on at work after Radio 2 has gone to Daily Mail Broadcasting at 12 o’clock, and I like the wider mix of music - but I had to turn it off the other day… drum & bass is just too hard to listen to in a work environment. (Or at all, if I’m showing my age ;).) At least, I think that’s what it was :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• exocetexocet Frets: 2066
    6 Music works for me, my other "go to" is the French Station FIP which is very eclectic. It's Internet only, I get it on Alexa via Simple Radio app (or it might be Tune In).
  • randellarandella Frets: 4732
    Jetsam1 said:

I found out the other day that 6Music DJ Tom Ravenscroft is Peel's son - he's going to be doing a special show soon where he has a dig through JP's vault of music. Could be worth a listen?

One of those things that probably everyone else knew, but I didn't (he took his mother's surname, in my defence) :). Ravenscroft is a good DJ in his own right, must be hard under his father's shadow.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4732
    edited February 2022

The problem when it started was that rather than more experimental new music radio it seemed to be trying to be the evening session from 30 years ago so it would be constantly playing The Fall and talking about John Cooper Clarke which I had zero interest in 

It really seems to have found its feet now. I need to convince my wife to listen to it rather than R2 now. 
    @monquixote - I agree. 6Music is in a real sweet spot now - there's a good mix throughout the day. I like the more niche stuff, Craig Charles works tirelessly to promote new funk bands. Huey Morgan is always a good listen on Saturday morning.

Listening to RadioX the other day, there's a station that seems to have done the opposite. Started out playing the slightly edgier rock-flavoured music of the day and, 20 years later, seems to be still playing the exact same tunes. Always useful if you've misplaced your Arctic Monkeys records, I guess.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    randella said:

@monquixote - I agree. 6Music is in a real sweet spot now - there's a good mix throughout the day. I like the more niche stuff, Craig Charles works tirelessly to promote new funk bands. Huey Morgan is always a good listen on Saturday morning.

Listening to RadioX the other day, there's a station that seems to have done the opposite. Started out playing the slightly edgier rock-flavoured music of the day and, 20 years later, seems to be still playing the exact same tunes. Always useful if you've misplaced your Arctic Monkeys records, I guess.

I think they got taken over a few years back and then became a lot less interesting than the early days of XFM when they were always my station of choice.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20606
    edited February 2022
    randella said:
    Jetsam1 said:

I found out the other day that 6Music DJ Tom Ravenscroft is Peel's son - he's going to be doing a special show soon where he has a dig through JP's vault of music. Could be worth a listen?

One of those things that probably everyone else knew, but I didn't (he took his mother's surname, in my defence) . Ravenscroft is a good DJ in his own right, must be hard under his father's shadow.
    No, John Peel was his professional working name, he was originally John Ravenscroft.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Peel

I still miss him so much as a DJ, there are very few that have ever come anywhere near the breadth of eclectic & new material that he would air. He & John Walters were the golden radio team for me. RIP
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1065
    randella said:
    Jetsam1 said:

One of those things that probably everyone else knew, but I didn't (he took his mother's surname, in my defence) :). Ravenscroft is a good DJ in his own right, must be hard under his father's shadow.
    @randella ;
    I put a couple of links for that in my earlier post ^
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28452
    No, John Peel was his professional working name, he was originally John Ravenscroft.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Peel

I still miss him so much as a DJ, there are very few that have ever come anywhere near the breadth of eclectic & new material that he would air. He & John Walters were the golden radio team for me. RIP
    I've still got some old tapes (vintage, rare, collectible), some of which would have been recorded from the old AM broadcasts before R1 had fulltime FM access.  

There are also some that are available online if you want a trip down that memory lane ...
    https://www.mixcloud.com/discover/john-peel-show/

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.