Sourcing parts for an Ovation Guitar

What's Hot
I have recently inherited what I think is an Ovation Celebrity Elite -there are no markings on the guitar itself other than a Gear 4 music branded headstock but otherwise all the details seem consistent with this model of guitar. The guitar is currently in a bit of a sorry state and I would like to refurbish it. At present it seems to need the following parts - tuning machine dust cover for a machine head on the EAD string side, a new saddle bridge and what I think is a missing combined battery box /line out jack (at the base of the guitar -other wise all parts seem to be intact -I will post pictures in the next day or so. Does anyone know where I can source either original or compatible parts for this guitar?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    You have a G4M Deluxe Roundback model. The remaining letters and numbers of its model name will indicate the soundboard top veneer wood and the finish colour.

The machineheads are probably Schaller M6 lookalikes by Ping Well or Jin-Ho. Easily sourced, singly or as a set.

The missing bridge saddle and control module are worrying. If the piezo transducer strip is still at the bottom of the bridge saddle slot, it may have been damaged. It would be a drag to do a bunch of saddle shaping work only to find that the transducer is farked.

In your position, I would take the opportunity to upgrade. Ditch the piezo. Choose another sort of pickup and/or transducer system. Install the appropriate control electronics.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I should clarify that he bridge saddle is not missing -just badly worn by the strings -looking inside, it appears that the rest of the electronics are still in there. I will take pictures later tonight when I get back home and post them from work so you have a better idea of what Im talking about
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74472
    Was that made as a special dealer model for G4M? If not, it's a copy rather than an Ovation.

I might have a battery box/line out jack assembly somewhere... I'll have a look. If you can post a pic of the hole in the guitar, that would be useful.

I would agree with Funkfingers that ditching the piezo system would be an upgrade, but I also can't help thinking that - if it works, anyway - it's actually part of the 'character' of these guitars and I'd probably keep it for what it is!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ink to photos of guitar is here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/kMoyXmAy8ob2rNKL8
  • As you can see from the photos the connector for the battery box/ line out is atill in there but both battery box and line out seem to be missing. I know the guitar isnt worth much but thought it might be an interesting project to tackle as a newbie so let ng as the parts list doesnt get too expensive
    ICBM said:
    Was that made as a special dealer model for G4M? If not, it's a copy rather than an Ovation.
    I reckon it is a Gear4Music RB230_____.

The G4M website currently illustrates a conventional looking bowlback copy with none of the Adamas cosmetics. I do not know whether GEWA sued or supplies simply dried up due to COVID. 
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 9013
    If it has Gear4Music on the headstock, then I am sorry to break the news to you that it is not a valuable guitar, and in fact would probably have sold at £200 or less.  I remember when Gear4Music sold ABS roundback models with the Ovation styled mushroom cap headstock and the wooden marquetry "leaves".  It seems that they now don't go to the same effort to try and mimic Ovations.
    but they still have some "B-stock" and "out of stock" items showing on their website with the Ovation looalike features:
    NOTE: the same preamp - Belcat OV-3T, so it is very highly unlikely that somebody stuck a Gear4Music neck onto an Ovation body to eg. replace a broken original neck.

Another company named Coban Guitars sold similar Ovation lookalikes for around the same price, and it is possible that the guitars could even have been made in the same factory at the time as the Gear4Music ones.  It looks like Coban has discontinued most of their guitars, but they still sell the stick-on Ovation type leaves:

Same idea by Bax Music here:

The fretboard on your guitar looks to be in quite good shape, but the back of the neck has some significant scrapes and the body has taken a bit of a beating.  Before doing any work to it, verify that the bridge isn't lifting.  See if you can slip a thin bit of paper under the back edge of the bridge at any points.

The saddle should be easy enough to replace if you have the length, thickness and height.  Just search parts shops for "compensated acoustic bone saddle" and look at the dimensions.  For the piezo transducer to work the saddle should be a snug fit in the bridge slot but not so tight that it has to be pushed into place.  You should still be able to pull it back out with your fingers again.

Tuning gears are readily available as 3L 3R diecast enclosed with 45 degree lug and "Spade" buttons.  Generic ones cost around £23.
    BillDL said:
    Tuning gears … Generic … £23.
    Belcat OV3T (inc. battery box module), £20.
    New compensated bridge saddle, £10.
    Sanding block and sheets, £?
    Strings, £7 (or more!)

You are already more than half way to a brand new G4M electro-acoustic guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for all your help guys -much appreciated.
    As for the value of the guitar -that was not really a concern as this was just an exploratory project to see if I can restore it to a usable/ playable state. I am however somewhat surprised that the inlay details and headstock design so completely copy the Ovation designs as I had always thought these elements were copyright protected.
    Copyright? China? :smirk: 
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 9013
    edited February 2022
    That's possibly why Gear4Music have changed their headstock shape and don't have the "leaves" on the front, i.e. avoidance of legal desist letters before they might happen, or perhaps they just feel they no longer have to emulate anything.  You will notice that generally the Gear4Music own brands like Knoxville and SubZero don't slavishly copy the guitars of the big brands, whereas some of the own brand guitars from other companies like Bax, Thomann and others follow the designs more closely and always run the risk of copyright infringment.  Most of the legal actions have concerned the shape of the headstocks, so own brands tend to have enough differences in that aspect so that they can't really be mistaken for the guitars that they drew their "inspiration" from, but are close enough so we all know what they are copying.
  • Copyright? China? :smirk: 
    Yes but Gear 4 Music whos logo is prominent on the guitar is UK based as best I can tell from their vat register records
    That's definitely not an Ovation product of any kind, even licenced. Which doesn't mean it's not probably about as good as some of the bottom-end Ovations, to be fair!

I do actually have a spare Belcat battery box/jack unit, but... so close but yet so far - mine is a larger unit with a XLR jack as well as the 1/4" one, and the push connector has 6 pins instead of what looks like probably 4 on yours from the size of it. It doesn't look like it could be adapted either, from the shape of it it's designed to fit cross-wise on the curved side of a conventional body.

You're probably better off buying a complete new system if it's as cheap as Funkfingers has found - the preamp units on these can be unreliable too, so it's not actually a bad thing to get both parts before you start.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

@ICBM In your opinion, how many packs of JB Weld would it take to make good the hole in the bowl?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @ICBM In your opinion, how many packs of JB Weld would it take to make good the hole in the bowl?
    I don’t know, but we know a man who does :D.