Any alternative to pirating Logic Pro X on 2012 Catalina

What's Hot
hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4308
edited February 2022 in Studio & Recording
Using here a 2021 Catalina iMac  , I only got a Mac capable of running Logic last year . I got a laptop one that wouldn’t load it  as it’s high Sierra and an iMac  running Catalina  both off eBay as that’s all I could afford . My previous macs it was not available as they were so old.

apparently now my Catalina iMac can not run Logic as you can only buy the new one  
also you can only load an older version  if you have previously bought it on the App Store .

so if you buy a 2nd hand old Mac to use Logic as a beginner you cannot purchase an older version .

so I have had to install a pirate version which works fine apart from not running Chord trigger ,which is a shame . I would like to purchase or try out the 30 day trial  of Logic but apparently it’s not available 
for people who have just bought a 2012 computer specifically to use it. I thought Catalina was a reasonably new OS , and am prepared to fork out my Christmas money which was put aside for saving up  but I’m a bit wary of losing my £200 after seeing others having trouble with it on Catalina .

I know I could use GarageBand but I specifically got the big iMac so I could use Logic Pro 10.5 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7212
    Might be worth contacting Apple to acquire the older version 
    Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks. What I’ve ended up doing is buy a 2015 one on eBay 16gb 2TB 128ssd with Monterey 
      For a good price . Will only cost me half as had Xmas money I figured I can use credit card and be very thrifty and pay it back in a month or two . Plus I can download the very latest Logic for free for 3 months  then buy it at the end and will have paid off the computer 
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 829
    It probably isn't what you want to hear, but I'd suggest trying to get used to another DAW, Logic used to be great, but I fear it is becoming too bloated and reliant on the latest OS.
    I think if you try to DL the full content, you will be maxxing out your 128g drive.
    I'm still running versions on 2 MBP, which I think are Sierra and Mojave, but won't be trying to update them, last update was when they changed the sampler, and my oldest one couldn't do it.
    Such a waste of good hardware, and if my projects were tied to them, I would find it hard to move forward.
    What is Chord trigger??
    I ask because there is a free extension in Reaper that is called Chord gun, sounds similar maybe?
    Reaper, FTW.
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 829
    Just re read your specs, 2tb, 128g SSD, 16gig, same spec as my 2011 MBP, still running ok - for now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10564
    It's a bit of a pain the way Apple do it. Very annoying to say the least. 

What you can do is sign into the ap store on a friends newer mac. Buy Logic but don't download it. Then go back to your older machine, sign in with the same details, search for Logic and it will give you the latest version compatible with your machine. This is how I get older versions on the many Macbooks and iMacs I have
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4308
    edited February 2022
    andy_k said:
    It probably isn't what you want to hear, but I'd suggest trying to get used to another DAW, Logic used to be great, but I fear it is becoming too bloated and reliant on the latest OS.
    I think if you try to DL the full content, you will be maxxing out your 128g drive.
    I'm still running versions on 2 MBP, which I think are Sierra and Mojave, but won't be trying to update them, last update was when they changed the sampler, and my oldest one couldn't do it.
    Such a waste of good hardware, and if my projects were tied to them, I would find it hard to move forward.
    What is Chord trigger??
    I ask because there is a free extension in Reaper that is called Chord gun, sounds similar maybe?
    Reaper, FTW.
    Hi yes chord trigger let’s you play big chords with one finger ,you can map a chord to a key on your midi controller . I just need it for composing the piano bits  I’m not too good on piano chords 
    but find it great for working out melodies and stuff and coming up with nice sounding inversions etc . I’m alwYs in search of 80s sounds like Michael omartian  and David parch  ,bill Champlain etc 

Ok on the HD yes I have an external SSD of 256gb which I plan to put all the sound libraries on 
      Thus saving the main SSD for the OS 

it’s a shame like you say about the hardware ,the old Catalina iMac is an i7 with 32GB ram 
    I’ve got someone coming to look at it this afternoon so It should pay off the shortfall of the new one and give me some money towards Logic after the 3 month trial is up 

thanks for your input  ,good to know about your machines still running 

• Danny1969 said:
    It's a bit of a pain the way Apple do it. Very annoying to say the least. 

What you can do is sign into the ap store on a friends newer mac. Buy Logic but don't download it. Then go back to your older machine, sign in with the same details, search for Logic and it will give you the latest version compatible with your machine. This is how I get older versions on the many Macbooks and iMacs I have
    Wow ,now that is genius 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6832
    I lost ProTools because of Apple operating system twatery. 

I have logic x but I think Reaper is the best option now. 
  • I am very impressed with Reaper on Mac.  I did lots of processing tasks with it on PC but with dual monitor setup it is just great to get lots of live stuff down quick.  Very stable.