Les paul harness 5 controls

What's Hot
musicalstashmusicalstash Frets: 54
edited February 2022 in Making & Modding

Came across this after looking for a cheap les paul harnesses. 

It is listed a les paul harness but has 5 controls,  any ideas what the 5th control 8s for?  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Guitar-Circuit-Wiring-Harness-Kit-for-LP-Les-Paul-Electric-Guitar-Parts-/193300147451?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74472
    Wouldn't be the first time a Chinese copyist hasn't got the faintest clue about what they're copying.

It's probably a master volume. But even more oddly, it's a push-pull pot which is not wired for anything on the switch.

Just a waste of parts and time for them to assemble, unless you're looking for a small collection of cheap shit parts and cable. (To be fair, the pots look reasonable.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Wouldn't be the first time a Chinese copyist hasn't got the faintest clue about what they're copying.

It's probably a master volume. But even more oddly, it's a push-pull pot which is not wired for anything on the switch.

Just a waste of parts and time for them to assemble, unless you're looking for a small collection of cheap shit parts and cable. (To be fair, the pots look reasonable.)
    Thanks, just really strange that they would include an additional part which is not needed.

for the price I will probably go for it , only after some cheap parts to restore a couple of guitars. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    It is listed a les paul harness but has 5 controls,  any ideas what the 5th control is for?  
    Could it be the infamous Rickenbacker mystery knob? :grin:

Might be intended for a replica of Frank Zappa's modified LP Custom, as seen on the cover of Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar and elsewhere. Zappa had a master volume and active EQ/boosters with rotary frequency selection.

Seriously, though, ICBM has told it like it is. Cheap parts, thrown together, for guitar project builders on an ultratight budget. Avoid!

The last time I saw a harness as naff as that was when I stripped the Eastwood Airline Twin Tone that I acquired from thecolourbox in 2019.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    I think it's a typo or misunderstanding, all the pictures show the standard 4 controls
  • I think it's a typo or misunderstanding, all the pictures show the standard 4 controls
    There is an additional control  , which looks like a pull pot . 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    Oh so there is! Bizarre
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1358
    I think I’d quite like a harness with a fifth push-pull pot for my three pickup LP-a-like, I could use it to switch the middle pickup in or out and fade its level up or down.

This probably isn’t it though and I’m not about to drill an extra hole to accommodate it… :-)
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...