SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SORTED PBass pickups

What's Hot
SargeSarge Frets: 2403
edited February 2022 in Basses £
I'm doing a Pbass build and realised the pickups I'm building the bass around don't have the series? wire attached and they're epoxy sealed....
So.. I'm looking to get the Tonerider TRP1 set @ £35, and wondering if there's anything available here before I buy new?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I’ve got the Tonerider in one of my precision’s, they really are good, especially in the lows, imo they are very close to the custom shop 62 for a fraction of the price 
    Riddim up
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2403
    I’ve got the Tonerider in one of my precision’s, they really are good, especially in the lows, imo they are very close to the custom shop 62 for a fraction of the price 
    Thanks for that, reviews are hard to come by. 
    I'm not up to speed with precision pickups and I'm not entirely sure what I want from them other than good "tight" bass and some zing if possible. 

one thing I'd like to be able to get is the tone from the Zero7  remix of N.E.R.D - Provider.
    I've got close with the jazz pickups in my Westone Thunder ii, but hoping a pbass would get closer. 
  • I play reggae so I have the tone rolled back but with it on full they are bright too, they do the full range very well 
    Riddim up
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14463
    edited February 2022
    11kOhms, Alnico 5 rod magnets usually delivers.

Right now, on eBay, there is a listing for a pre-owned Seymour Duncan SPB-2 Hot pickup that may be within budget. There is also one for an Antiquity II model. (Over budget but worth every penny.)

Irongear and Alegree Old Timer should have something suitable at modest cost.

Sarge said:
    the pickups I'm building the bass around don't have the series wire attached and they're epoxy sealed.
    Depending on the brand and model, it might be possible to cut through the resin without damaging the internals. (I have done this to Seymour Duncan Active EQ and Pro Active bass pickups.) Much depends on how generous the manufacturer has been with the resin.

Bartolini pickups are resin potted but have soldering tags protruding. Kent Armstrong/SKY pickups are pretty darned impenetrable. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.

Right now, on eBay, there is a listing for a pre-owned Seymour Duncan SPB-2 Hot pickup that may be within budget. 
    Thanks, I already have that in my watch list  :)

Right now, on eBay, there is a listing for a pre-owned Seymour Duncan SPB-2 Hot pickup that may be within budget. There is also one for an Antiquity II model. (Over budget but worth every penny.)

I questioned the seller as to the originality of these pickups as they have different bases to the pics of SD SPB-2 I've seen online.... he got back saying he made a mistake and they're "the model before"
    whatever the hell that means  :#

they're clearly not a SD pickup at all. can't retract my bid either and he apparently can't end the listing. 

god I hate ebay. 
    edited February 2022
    Sarge said:
    they're "the model before" … whatever the hell that means. 
    My guess is that the seller has used the Seymour Duncan packaging to store whatever pickup the SPB-2 had replaced.

I do this. It helps when restoring a modified instrument to stock specifications prior to selling it on.

The difference is that I do not then attempt to pass the stock pickup off as the item described on the packaging.

UPDATE: Listing reported. HTH.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Sarge said:
    they're "the model before" … whatever the hell that means. 
    My guess is that the seller has used the Seymour Duncan packaging to store whatever pickup the SPB-2 had replaced.

I do this. It helps when restoring a modified instrument to stock specifications prior to selling it on.

The difference is that I do not then attempt to pass the stock pickup off as the item described on the packaging.
    Yes I do the same. 
    He has tried to remedy the issue, but blah blah blah. 
    I've reported the listing, it would be helpful if others did too ;) 

I don't want a negative mark against my account. 
    If eBay obliges you to honour your side of the auction, invoke your right to return the item as misdescribed. 

Keep the correspondence with the seller about the (alleged) errors. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    thank you 
  • I’ll report it too if it helps Sarge, which ad is it or which seller, I don’t want to report the wrong one 
    Riddim up
    The auction was due to end at approximately 14:00GMT. I did not add it to my Watch List, hence, it does not appear on my Ended page. Strangely, the listing fails to appear on my Recently Viewed section. 

It is my hope that the seller either ended the auction early or cancelled Sarge's bid.
    The listing ran it's course and a second bidder nipped in and got it, hopefully the seller will stand by his word and cancel the auction.

I ordered the Tonerider from nw guitars as it is time to start assembly. 
    Phew! You have had a narrow escape. The second bidder can have all the rigmarole of opening a case against the seller to obtain a refund.