Thumbs up for Oil City Pickups

My new pickups arrived today, destined for my Jaden Rose - a Scrapyard Dog for the neck, and a NightFighter with the alnico 8 magnet. I was a little awkward (and incredibly vague) with my specification, but @TheGuitarWeasel was happy to talk it over and make some recommendations - turns out that he was bang on the money, they're exactly what I was looking for; less output and more clarity than the ceramic monsters I had in there, but to fit the angled pockets on the S2.

So yeah...thumbs up, highly recommended and great prices. Go buy stuff.
<space for hire>
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11133
    tFB Trader
    Glad you like em mate! The difficult done immediately ... the imposable: after a cup of strong tea and a bit-o-time to think about it :)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17888
    tFB Trader
    I've got a SYD in my Strat it's absolutely magic. 

When you go from mental hot pickups to only slightly hot, the benefits to clean and crunchy tones can be massive. 
    tFB Trader
    I'm turning into a massive fan of alnico 8 magnets: no slouches in the  punchy and powerful stakes... almost up to ceramic levels ... but with a sweetness and musicality that - to my ears - many ceramics lack. They have much of the smoothness and good balance of alnico 4 with more gurrrrrrrrr
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• NPPNPP Frets: 236
    I have recently ordered a set of HB-sized P90s to go into a cheap hollowbody and a Honkytonk Angel (Tele) bridge pu to go into my Strat. Very satisfied with both!

• siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    I can report a similar experience.  I put on a world class demonstration of my complete lack of understanding of anything and everything to do with pickups yet despite that two custom made jobbies arrived in 2 days and they are fabulous.   I won't be going anywhere else next time.
    :)
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • Yeah still enjoying my cow trons. :)
    tFB Trader
    Thank you for all your kind words guys ... I'm actually rather pleased that my humbuckers are stepping out of the shadows. I started by getting a rep for my single coils ... but I do like making a good bucker :)
    I've been stupidly busy recently so I must thank those who have happily waited a week for me to unclog my workflow.

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    I got a Nightfighter for the bridge of my prs and a scrapyard dog plus with alnico ii in the neck from Ash and they're excellent. I'm going to do a post with sound clips when I can get a day off to record some. I could use amplitube but would rather do it during the day with my amp.
  • FezFez Frets: 542
    Nuther thumbs up here. The hard man is great in my bitsa strat. Going to use it at the gig on Saturday.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • And from me. Jazzbastard sounds the balls with a cow tron and a couple of his single coils.

They're the doggies doo dahs, and I'll only ever get pups from him now. Rare though that is...
  • @theguitarweasel - thanks for doing our bass players rewind.

He's a bloody muppet, and i told him to come to you in the first place but because hes a cheapskate, he went to "the other place" and now hes had to spend out more than if he'd just come to you in the first place!

Thanks though mate!

tFB Trader
    I'll be putting a thread in UK makers shortly ... as yet ANOTHER bass player ... not your guy Travis ... but one local to me has, buggered his Rick pickup. Will be posting do's and dont's of handling bass pickups!!!

• rprrpr Frets: 310
    Really need to get round to fitting the triple blues i bought a few weeks back..
  • Iv aquired an old jap aria superstrat (mate owed me some money but gave me the aria as hes broke )
    Despite it not really being my cuppa it plays so well and has a lovely neck, thinking a set of stone tones would make it sound great hmmmmm.
    tFB Trader
    This sad creature will be over on my Brit Makers threadimage