Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Black Summer (New Single)

What's Hot

thoughts? classic Frusciante tone and hendrix-isms here
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Ok, so how can we buy some of whatever fuzz pedal that is before goes through the roof..?! :D 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Ok, so how can we buy some of whatever fuzz pedal that is before goes through the roof..?! :D 
    That my friend is a DS2 going into the preamp of an old CE1  :#
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 10237
    Well, I already want a well worn sunburst Strat again  =)

Not sure about Tony's pirate style vocals, but loving John's work and overall, what a belter
  • chris78 said:
    Well, I already want a well worn sunburst Strat again  =)

Not sure about Tony's pirate style vocals, but loving John's work and overall, what a belter
    Kiedis getting in on that hot sea shanty trend all the kids are talking about...
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not a big fan of them anymore, but that's not bad. 
  • Not their finest hour tbh, but Kiedis! I'll have what he's eating/drinking! That man gets younger  :o 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3826
    edited February 2022
    Frusciante is God!!

(guitar is dead my arse)

Pretty standard song really, not very interesting (neither is the vid) and vocals aren't great imo. 

Not bad though! Good time for a new RHCP song.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I think chilli songs generally get better with age (and listens).
  • I gave it a go on the way to work this morning, thought it was pretty good! Not sure what Kiedis was thinking with the strange accent in the verses, it's a little distracting but doesn't ruin it for me.

Much prefer it to the new Liam Gallagher single
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 2136
    edited February 2022
    I thought a minute into that, that they'd hired Bez to do the dancing. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• LPManicLPManic Frets: 1223
    RHCP are my guilty pleasure. Blood Sugar one of my big guitar albums.

It's a good safe Chill Peppers song similar to Desecration Smile maybe. Allegedly lyric is about Anthony's father dying last year.

AMAZING to hear some Frusciante "fuzz" again. (It's probably a DS2 really though isn't it?). He really is going to rip those solos live.

Anyone have any idea what Strat he is playing in the video?
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25113
    I haven't listened to them for a long while, Stadium Arcadium was too long and boring and I just couldn't bring myself to listen to the albums with Josh Klinghoffer.  In fact the last time I listened to a Chili Peppers album it was One Hot Minute, which is way better than I remembered.

The song is... nice.  I liked it there on first hearing and I think it will only grow better.  Kiedis's vocal is weird.  I really hope the album has some uptempo stuff and doesn't all sound exactly like this.

But.... it's Frusciante.  I'm not into hippy-dippy shit but there's something otherworldly about the guy.  He has an aura.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    edited February 2022
    I’m not a huge fan but have enjoyed most of the JF stuff, and I’m a firm believer that Californication is one of the greatest records of all time.

This song is fine but I think it’s a grower very glad to see the proper band back making music
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4159
    Hmmm. At one time in my life this would have been major for me. Not bad and I’ll inevitably get the album. Right now I’d still rather give Mother’s milk or BSSM a spin though.
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 10237
    LPManic said:

Anyone have any idea what Strat he is playing in the video?
    Pretty confident it’s “the” strat- his 62. Wear looks like it 
  • ColsCols Frets: 7727
    If you're a fan of modern-day Chilis, this is right up your street; it's basically more of the same.

Personally I prefer the funkier, harder-edged material which dominated up to One Hot Minute and gave Flea the reputation of the most badass bass player in the world.  This is inoffensive enough, but hardly a patch on their late 80s-mid 90s peak.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    Musically sounds great as always, but Kledis lets the side down with the vocal and it's lacking in hooks.

I often think if they'd had someone like Chris Cornell or Layne Staley on vocals they would probably have been the best band of all time.
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1223
    Musically sounds great as always, but Kledis lets the side down with the vocal and it's lacking in hooks.

I often think if they'd had someone like Chris Cornell or Layne Staley on vocals they would probably have been the best band of all time.
    It's ironic that in a band of genuine virtuosos, Kiedis is technically the weak link and yet it is his band.

But then again their two biggest hits and eras - Under the Bridge and Californication are his ideas and concepts.

The new single is fine. It is safe and catchy and it has a great Frusciante solo. And it has space for him to rip whenever they start playing it live.
    tFB Trader
    LPManic said:

It's ironic that in a band of genuine virtuosos, Kiedis is technically the weak link and yet it is his band.

But then again their two biggest hits and eras - Under the Bridge and Californication are his ideas and concepts.

The new single is fine. It is safe and catchy and it has a great Frusciante solo. And it has space for him to rip whenever they start playing it live.

I think in the early days where they were still a bit more "rap metal" his vocals suited them perfectly which is why Blood Sugar Sex Magik is the all time classic that it is. 

As they've gone more towards proper songs he's suited them less and less. 
    tFB Trader
    Ok, so how can we buy some of whatever fuzz pedal that is before goes through the roof..?! :D 
    That my friend is a DS2 going into the preamp of an old CE1  :#

I cannot recommend getting a DS-2 enough. 

The turbo mode really does get you that sound. It's like the fuzz sound you always wanted except it's not actually a fuzz.