Scratchy sounding index finger

I've been a flat picker most of my guitar playing life, a bit of hybrid picking here and there. Started to take acoustic fingerstyle seriously about 5 years ago but I hate the sound of my index finger. It's notably scratchier sounding than the others with a harsh attack. I keep my nails short so it's not that, more a weirdly shaped callused fingertip. Unless I really need to use it I just leave it out. I notice when I'm playing electric with fingers I prefer using thumb and middle finger. 

Anyone else do this? From spending some time with hybrid picking it feels natural to leave it out. If I'm switching from using a flat pick to fingers, I like to hold the pick with the index against my hand rather than laying it down somewhere. 

I wonder if there's anything I can do to the callused finger to get it sounding the same as the others? Pumice stone after a bath or nail file perhaps? Happy to continue as I am but at the same time I don't want to waste a good finger. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    For the cleanest sound the finger should strike the string at 90 degrees, i.e. perpendicular. A scratchy sound indicates that your index finger is striking the string at an angle. That suggests to me incorrect hand position and that you need to turn your hand so that your wrist is more above it, not alongside it. Take a look at the hand position of classical players and you will see what I mean.
  • CryptidCryptid Frets: 406
    Good point, my index doesn't strike the strings as straight as the others - it's a bit wonky at the end. 
    I don't anchor with the pinky but true classical position feels odd and I like the option of muting the strings for a Chet-style thump. Tone from the index is better at 90° but still not as full as the other fingers. 

I'll continue playing around with hand position and try to find a compromise.