Rhythm help

What's Hot
I need to improve my rhythm, accuracy, understanding etc. 
Any advice appreciated :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• James Brown tunes. This book breaks down a load of the tunes for rhythm section, and there's loads of tight 16th note strumming patterns, often sitting on the same two bar pattern for quite a while so you can really practice locking in with the groove.

https://ergodebooks.com/?route=product/product&product_id=2457249&currency=GBP
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • smigeonsmigeon Frets: 283
    Try All My Loving by the Beatles.
  • A metronome is your friend.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Where do you want to get to? Show us a vid!

And where are you now? Show us a vid ;)
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    It helps if you specify which genre. 

The biggest fault I see inexperienced musicians do is slowing down on the hard bits and speeding up on the easy bits. People notice rhythm more than anything so if you do a fast run miss or flub a few note and come in on time at the next bar it's much less jarring to a listener than slowing down.

I find metronomes annoying and unnatural so use a basic drum machine. Some practice amps have them built in or there are phone apps etc.

Two exercises I did when learning drums I've adapted for guitar which were super helpful were

Rhythmic displacement 
    Do 16th note mutes with up and down picking
    Count along with the notes "1 e & a 2" etc
    and then do a chord stab on each note in turn so first bar on the one, second bar on the "a" of one then the "&" of one etc until you've learned how to consistently nail every beat.
    Make sure anything that's on the off beat is always and upstroke and anything on an on beat is a downstroke.

Note Pulses
    Again muted picking on one string.
    Play 1/4 notes for one bar 1/4 note triplets then 1/8th notes then 1/8th note triplets then 16th notes.
  • Also, if you have GarageBand or reaper record yourself to a click and see if you’re behind or ahead.  It can be a jarring and often a rude awakening.  My goal has been to play so in time, you can’t hear the click.  
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2778
    Rhythm is a lot about rests and ties

Take 8 quavers in a 4 beat bar
    start off with playing / strumming sets of 8 in time (preferably down up .. rather than down down down ..)
    then start placing a series of rests (ie don’t play) the e.g. 2 4 6 8 beats
    then rests on the 1 3 5 7
    then rests on 2 and 5
    etc
    try and keep using the down up down up irrespective of which rests are being used

There are books which provide lots of these rhythms, including which rests are used in different genres - it looks like I loaned my one out and haven’t got it back :( 
  • The key is to understand what you have to play within a measured space of time, i.e 4 strums within 4 beats is 1 bar of music. You can't strum 5 times and call it 4/4 otherwise its one too many. Same if you only strum 3 then start the 1 again.

So start with basic understanding of subdividing different rhythm values, whole/half/quarter/eighth/sixteenth et and make sure you can play those with a metronome/drum machine in time so the tempo doesn't need to change or anything.

I use a textbook once called the Encyclopaedia of Reading Rhythms. It has several counting exercises which really helped me tidy up my rhythm notation reading.

Rhythm makes up for 90-95% of guitar playing so its important its good! 
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1359
    Easiest / quickest way ? Join a band.
    Your rhythm playing will improve overnight. 

Other than that - metronome - in countless music rooms / man caves I see racks upon racks of guitars, amps, effects pedals - 
    and not a single one of these things in sight...Metronome - Wikipedia
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12413
    Or play along with the original song if its a cover you are learning.  I find that the most useful for timing.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7353
    CaseOfAce said:

Other than that - metronome - in countless music rooms / man caves I see racks upon racks of guitars, amps, effects pedals - 
    and not a single one of these things in sight...Metronome - Wikipedia
    Well hopefully that's cos it's on their phone. It would be nice to have a proper one though.
  • I'm ok to follow along a song that I know on cd but on my own I can sense that the timing is drifting away.
    I'll get a phone based metronome and put some work in with that, I kind of matched @CaseOfAce description of a typical mancave, loads of gear and no metronome!
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4238
    edited February 2022
    I like a simple metronome over a drum machine because you can vary the challenge - so for example you can use it as normal and have the click of the metronome on the down beat, but you can also treat the click as the off beat instead, putting YOU in charge of accenting the down beat with your playing in between the clicks. That can be hugely revealing. You can also halve the tempo of the click challenging you play in time for twice as long before you get any rhythmic help. 

These are things which will develop your own innate sense of time, rather than just enable you to follow a rhythm and not sound discernibly out of time with it.
  • PALPAL Frets: 540
    Playing along with a song or other people if you can will help.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9713
    PAL said:
    Playing along with a song or other people if you can will help.
    CaseOfAce said:
    ^ This. Not only rhythm but every aspect of your playing will improve. Playing with others is a sure-fire way of forcing you to up your game.

Also, downstrokes give the beat; upstrokes give the groove/feel.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it