Should cavity screening be earthed when using EMG pickups

What's Hot
I have a partscaster, the body cavity is mostly shielded with adhesive-backed aluminium foil

The earth on the EMG set that was in it was connected to the shielding

I have fitted a new EMG set, but left the shielding unconnected (NB: it may have connection via the shielding on the scratchplate anyway)

Should shielding be earthed when using EMGs?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74472
    Ideally, yes. But you could compare the noise levels with and without, and not bother if there's no difference. Although bear in mind that this varies with location and noise sources...

Although EMGs are very well-shielded as far as the controls, the tone caps and a couple of the other bits of wiring aren't, and it's much worse if you use the solderless kits since there's far more unnecessary cable length (another reason I dislike them).

If the shielding is grounded via the pots and the pickguard shielding then it's a moot point anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom