Dogear P90 and string clearance on Dc Juniors

Bit of a rather specific query…..

can anyone tell me what a typical string clearance on vintage dc juniors was above the single P90 when set up for a decent low action?   I have been revisiting my very first two builds ( re-levelling and recrowning the frets, and making better nuts etc) and wondered whether my P90s are too close to the strings - I get some pickup slapping when playing reasonably aggressively.    Both guitars have about a 3 degree break angle and are as close to vintage measurements as I could get em otherwise.   

Would appreciate any info 
cheers 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FlipFlip Frets: 68
    As one of the newer people here, and because one of my next builds is a kit LP Jnr, I'm watching this thread with interest.

My understanding is that while the measured height of strings above frets etc, might be interesting, even helpful, the real answer is 'when you don't get any interference with the vibration' when it's played as you intended/expected.

If that's the case, I guess you have your initial answer.
  • Cant say re vintage but this is common with a flat P90 pickup cover and a Gibson neck angle. If you get string slap take the cover, place some sandpaper on a flat surface and gently bring down the cover height on the neck facing side while leaving the bridge side untouched (can put masking tape on that edge).

Check the neck relief first. If its very loose try and get relief at 8th fret to be around the thickness of the B string. If you need to tighten the rod alot then you may need to raise the bridge a tiny bit anyway to get medium action. 

• PeteCPeteC Frets: 500
    cheers Flip - but I am looking specifically at the pickup cover / string gap rather than the general action of the strings/fretwork.

I am interested to find out whether original dc juniors had a relatively small gap, or even whether my P90 cover is high compared to originals.  I know a few guys here have late 50's originals.

On my builds the gap between the top of the P90 dogear cover and the strings is approx 1.5-1.75 mm.

Cheers Winny_Pooh - that's very useful to know.  I think maybe the covers on my Oil City Firewatches are relatively tall. 
    Winny_Pooh - just to clarify - do you mean take the relief measurement when the first fret is capo'd and the 17th fret is held down ? 
    cheers

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8077
    edited February 2022
    PeteC said:
    Winny_Pooh - just to clarify - do you mean take the relief measurement when the first fret is capo'd and the 17th fret is held down ? 
    cheers

Correct...1st and 22nd fret though. You can use more relief if you pick harder.
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1581
    Here's a shot of my 1960 LP DC Junior.  The pickup clearance is 9/16" from the cover to the high E.
    Perfect - many thanks all - I have sanded down the leading edge of the cover, recessed the P90 ears so that they are flush with the body/rest of the pickup rout etc and now have exactly 9/64th in. on it, as per Phil's original above. 

now about to crank it up and adjust the pole pieces to taste - the Firewatch is a great P90  but can really sting a bit on the treble side ( as it is designed to !! ) 

cheers, advice is much appreciated.