Squier Esquire pickup

What's Hot
Hi folks, I picked up a FSR esquire a year or so ago and I've not modded it yet

Was wondering if anyone has fitted a single coil sized humbucker and then used the three way switch to give full Hb, series and parallel split?

What model did you go for? I'm not worried about the full fat sound I'm worried that the split sound will be too thin?

Thoughts??
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    edited February 2022
    Yes. Tried that circuit with a Duncan Li'l '59 for Telecaster and a Custom Shop Pearly Gates for Telecaster. The former has a ceramic magnet. The latter has Alnico and is rather like the Red Devil model for Stratocaster.

In both instances, I only remember being impressed by the full output series mode. Things might have been better if I had opted for a partial coil split via a capacitor or resistor.

Consider the STHR-1B Hot Rails or a DiMarzio DP384 Chopper T.

As a fan of raunch and twang, I prefer a regular T-type single coil pickup through a switch that selects between Eldred mod preset, vol + tone, vol only.

YMMV
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Yes. Tried that circuit with a Duncan Li'l '59 for Telecaster and a Custom Shop Pearly Gates for Telecaster. The former has a ceramic magnet. The latter has Alnico and is rather like the Red Devil model for Stratocaster.

In both instances, I only remember being impressed by the full output series mode. Things might have been better if I had opted for a partial coil split via a capacitor or resistor.

Consider the DiMarzio DP384 Chopper T.

As a fan of raunch and twang, I prefer a regular T-type single coil pickup through a switch that selects between Eldred mod preset, vol + tone, vol only.

YMMV
    Was the split sound just to wimpy?

Remember having a tone zone s in the mid position of a RG470 - I split that permanently and it was terrible!
    The split coil sound of both the production line and Custom Shop Duncan pickups failed to sound like a "proper" Telecaster bridge/Treble pickup and also to be interesting in its own right.

Admittedly, the PG4T is intended to sound like a Gibson. It succeeds in this up until about the fourteenth fret. Thereafter, the mechanical sustain of the screwed-on neck construction fails to keep pace with a set-in neck (and a stud-mounted bridge and tailpiece combination).

Trelf1980 said:
    FSR esquire
    Which version?

There has been a "Fifties" version with a maple neck and pine body, followed by a "Sixties" version with a brown fingerboard, nato body and all of the Custom Esquire cosmetic trimmings.
  • Trelf1980 said:
    FSR esquire
    Which version?

There has been a "Fifties" version with a maple neck and pine body, followed by a "Sixties" version with a brown fingerboard, nato body and all of the Custom Esquire cosmetic trimmings.
    Mine is the fifties version ;) sounds like going the humbucker route might compromise the traditional side - it's a trade off I guess!!
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3221
    My own opinion is that I have never been happy with the single sound of a split humbucker, it just doesnt do it for me, neither does a Tele single bridge pickup, I just hate it, so both my Teles have Lil 59’s, it works for me.
    If I wanted traditional Tele bridge sound then Id have a Standard Tele, if I wanted one with a humbucker at the bridge, Id have a second Tele so equipped…

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1167
    edited February 2022
    You could go for a nice coil tapped pickup. Oil City do one I believe, but I can't remember which model. The Whapping Wharf maybe... It won't give you the split sounds you're after, but it'll be more versatile than the standard setup.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 4string4string Frets: 34
    tFB Trader
    You could go for a nice coil tapped pickup. Oil City do one I believe, but I can't remember which model. The Whapping Wharf maybe... It won't give you the split sounds you're after, but it'll be more versatile than the standard setup.
    Yes, it's the Whapping Wharf. Works well in a single pickup guitar.
    Chief Bottle Washer @ Oil City Pickups.
  • paulnb57 said:
    My own opinion is that I have never been happy with the single sound of a split humbucker, it just doesnt do it for me, neither does a Tele single bridge pickup, I just hate it, so both my Teles have Lil 59’s, it works for me.
    If I wanted traditional Tele bridge sound then Id have a Standard Tele, if I wanted one with a humbucker at the bridge, Id have a second Tele so equipped…

Might just bite the bullet with the esquire - pickup decisions to be made!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom