1Q22 elstoof does a 62 Strat

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• elstoofelstoof Frets: 2776
    Still plenty of opportunity for me to bollock it up! I’ll tarnish some metal bits next week, then sort out the frets and nut. After that it’s just relic and assemble I guess
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gan_AinmGan_Ainm Frets: 18
    Nice work. I’m going to have a go at lightly ageing some metal hardware soon so will be interested in how things go. 
    It’s not to hard to add a little age many of the metal bits, ferric chloride takes the lustre off nickel and steel. The chrome I’ll stick in a tub with some screws and nails then shake vigorously, doesn’t really lose its shine over the years in my experience, just gets a bit dinged up
    Cracked open the ferric chloride and wiped some klusons down, also chucked a couple of chrome bits in a jar with some nails. One of the main reasons for doing a ‘62 was the serial number 82xxx of the era could be made to line up with my date of birth in reverse. I did have to use some artistic licence as by the time 82xxx rolled around they were using veneer boards but don’t tell anyone

• elstoof said:
    the serial number 82xxx of the era could be made to line up with my date of birth in reverse
    Impressive - I hope I'm still able to build things at 94 years of age!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I’m looking pretty good for it too
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    As expected, I’ve badly failed to meet the Q1 deadline. Need to buff the body, relic it, sort the frets and a nut, then assemble. Next project arrived though, possibly the last ever TC15 from Trinity, hopefully not

And some Russian valves in case they run out, turned up the same time as these mojo pafs

• FlipFlip Frets: 68
    Love the colour. Great.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3129
    Looking good from here  :)
    A bit of checking and whatnot on the neck, I know logos are taboo on partscasters but it’s my guitar, very easily proven fake and I’ll never sell it so I stuck one on

Should really do the fretwork before mounting hardware but I couldnt wait to see how it looked

edited April 2022
    Coming together now, just need to finish the neck really

Baby’s first relic 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nice.  Keep an eye on Henry though - he looks like he'll have that away as soon as you turn your back
    He’s the one with the talent anyway
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • matt_seftonmatt_sefton Frets: 1087
    Looks really good. I’m facing a relicing dilemma right now - just sprayed a surf green body and vintage amber neck that are drying and I can’t decide whether to relic or not. I like yours because you haven’t overdone it. Looks natural 
    edited April 2022
    Thanks! I planned to do a bit less relic but it was really handy to cover up my mistakes with. I went through the tinted clear on the bottom edge hence the big scuff I never planned on having. I sprayed outside when it was pretty windy so there was a bit of dusty crap here and there, they were the random markers for pretty much all the dings I added  B
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom