Johnny Marr

What's Hot
darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13743
..is about to drop a new solo album, and seems to be getting more and more comfortable with how he makes music as a solo artist with each one.  I'm always a little in awe of Johnny Marr.

There be a "Single" with four tracks off it on the Spotify and I'm tempted to get the vinyl... https://open.spotify.com/album/5qw3lpVKXxieAEfj8mjB4p?si=MltO9Pb5TUqccgR8YQ83Ag

Especially like "Spirit Power and Soul"... anyone else paying attention?

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• drpbierdrpbier Frets: 245
    Yep. I do generally enjoy his pick for lead single. He really is the real deal. Awesome talent. Next time I see him I'm going near the front. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think his solo output has been great.
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1247
    edited February 2022
    Loved Johnny Marr since I was seventeen. I think his solo stuff is great and seems to be improving album by album. He's clearly obsessive about his craft. Saw him live a couple of years ago and he was awesome. His band and are just perfect, especially the other guitarist who fills the gaps well when JM is singing. He seems like a nice guy in interviews too. Looking forward to the new LP.
    Link to my trading feedback
  • Easy Money is a fantastic song, like a modest mouse outake made into a pop song. 

Dashboard Confessional is a great Marr moment.

The solo stuff is a lot better than I expected. I wish he was doing a solo tour, I would like to go see him, but dont really want to see Blondie

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• Phenomenal guitarist… as good as they get… good songwriter, terrible lyricist. His greatest hits of musical attainment stands up against anyones, but the majority of his solo work is a tricky listen I’d say. 
  • Easy Money is a fantastic song, like a modest mouse outake made into a pop song. 

Dashboard Confessional is a great Marr moment.

The solo stuff is a lot better than I expected. I wish he was doing a solo tour, I would like to go see him, but dont really want to see Blondie
    What’s Johnny done with Dashboard Confessional?! I love that band 
  • Phenomenal guitarist… as good as they get… good songwriter, terrible lyricist. His greatest hits of musical attainment stands up against anyones, but the majority of his solo work is a tricky listen I’d say. 
    Pains me to agree, but yup. I’m a huge fan, and have met Johnny a few times (lives not far from me) and can confirm he’s a lovely bloke (except for how he treated Craig Gannon), but he’s a genius collaborator. I’ve seen him a few times with the cribs, MM, and solo, but I’d not see him solo again. If I want to hear Smiths songs, I’ll see Morrissey (my favourite artist of all time) who will do them very well. 
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 954
    edited February 2022
    Call the comet is the only album of his I’ve heard. I wish I could listen that for the first time again on my studio monitors - amazing. For some reason I never dove any deeper into his catalogue. Clearly a decent guitarist though and the smiths may have actually been tolerable if it wasn’t fronted by a guy who sounds like a depressed Kermit the Frog
  • Watched him in Blackburn last September.. great show, he has a style and mastery of his own. Adrenalin Baby is great album for novices..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• Call the comet is the only album of his I’ve heard. I wish I could listen that for the first time again on my studio monitors - amazing. For some reason I never dove any deeper into his catalogue.
    Easily resolved then...get Spotifying! The Messenger...Playland...[Call The Comet]...I love his solo albums!

Just remembered...this is the bit where I recommend two The The albums: Mind Bomb and Dusk ;)
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2851
    He's playing the BBC 6 Music Festival in Cardiff in April. 
  • Seen him and his band twice, both times superb. The last time in 2018 in Cardiff, which alarmingly, is the last gig I went to. The opening tune of Headmaster Ritual was incredible to hear live. He does a fine job on the vocals, and his own tunes work well live. 

I still love the music of The Smiths despite Mozza's twattery. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16315
    The penny has still tae drop for me with the Marr fella...
    tae be or not tae be
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16315
    I get the Radiohead guy though....
    tae be or not tae be
  • 26.226.2 Frets: 562
    I absolutely love the solo albums - Playland probably the best to date, followed by Call The Comet. Can’t wait for the new one.