New Guitar Wiring Reference Book By Gerry Hayes

Some of you may know the name of the luthier Gerry Hayes who is Haze Guitars, Lucan, Eire (Southern Ireland).  He makes a range of finely crafted guitars and custom orders (currently closed for new orders) but also takes time to maintain an informative blog and write regular newsletters for his free subscribers.

I always enjoyed reading Dan Erlewine's informative technical articles in Guitar Player magazine back in the 80s and 90s and subsequently bought one of his books.  Gerry Hayes has said that he was heavily inspired by Dan Erlewine and has followed to some extent in his footsteps with his articles.  What has set his articles apart from many others is that he draws the diagrams and they have a "homely" and personal feel, which led to his eBooks named "Sketchy Setups".

He has just released a new book entitled Complete Guitar Wiring that is packed with very clearly laid out diagrams using his own guitar diagramming graphics.
The book is available in PDF (eBook) format for download priced at $40
or is available as a paper cover hardcopy 408 page book from Amazon for £36.96:

For other countries just search books on Amazon for Complete Guitar Wiring Gerry Hayes or by the publication number ISBN-10: ‎1919649425 or click the relevant link about three quarters of the way down this page:

The reason I am posting about this book is that when I first started tinkering with guitars I was a bit puzzled about how all the switches and pots had to be wired for it to work as intended.  I had to physically draw a diagram in different coloured pens while looking into control cavities of other guitars and then use that as a reference when wiring another guitar.  I didn't really understand how the wiper in potentiometers works when moving around the track, nor how the capacitors worked with the tone pot, and so on.  I bought books by Adrian Legg, Melvyn Hiscox, and Dan Erlewine that explained it all with diagrams, but it was all in black and white and the diagrams all felt too "linear" or crudely hand drawn.

If I had owned a copy of this new book by Gerry Hayes back then I would have understood it a lot faster and would have been able to wire and rewire my guitars much more confidently without using mini crocodile clips on lengths of wire to test it all outside the guitar before committing to solder and not really being able to visualise WHY I was connecting the various wires a particular way.  All gerry's diagrams are in colour and are very easy to follow.

I would recommend the book to anybody who is embarking on doing wiring modification or new assembly to their guitars and would benefit from the explanations of HOW the components work together as well as the excellent range of different wiring options.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments