Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Television- Marquee Moon

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2451
    Friction is probably my favourite track, but only by a gnat's chuff. Torn Curtain is amazing too. I would love to see a proper musical analysis of that song from someone who knows their theory. It always seems to me as though the basic track is very simple and then the lead guitar somehow bends it into a completely different place, like it's playing in an entirely different key from everyone else.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • See No Evil for me. Love it. 
  • 26.226.2 Frets: 562
    Redlester said:
    oh_pollo said:
    Apparently there's no Jazzmaster on the title track. Verlaine played a Danelectro with a bigsby and Richard Lloyd played a telecaster.
    @oh_pollo Well I'll be! Thanks for that. I was assuming things from the sound. It's all relative anyway- what matters is the music when it's that good. 
    What’s the source here - there was an interview where a bad tempered TV listed lots of guitars that he didn’t actually use. Is it that?

I thought that TV used a Jazzmaster and his Jag with lipstick pickups throughout Marquee Moon. I’ve heard it from a variety of sources. RL used Strat and a little Tele. Amps were Super Reverbs.

On Adventure there were a couple of other guitars used I think, including a Dan Armstrong. 
    edited February 2022
    Anyway - it’s in my top 3 albums of all time (with Revolver and My Generation). It’s perfect from beginning to end, and the other Television albums come damn close. I’ve played See No Evil (many times) and Friction (a few times) on stage, playing the Richard parts, and they’re just fantastic to play. One day I’d like to put a band together to do the whole album - talk about a stretch goal! 

• RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1080
    26.2 said:
    Anyway - it’s in my top 3 albums of all time (with Revolver and My Generation). It’s perfect from beginning to end, and the other Television albums come damn close. I’ve played See No Evil (many times) and Friction (a few times) on stage, playing the Richard parts, and they’re just fantastic to play. One day I’d like to put a band together to do the whole album - talk about a stretch goal! 

That'd be a great thing to do. I'm sure you'd do a great job musically. 

It's be a great social thing to do as well- Television's output is like jazz, in that it's about the interplay and reacting to others, so you'd have to really focus on the music and what other people are playing, and some real friendships would be formed there. 

Redlester said:
    26.2 said:

That'd be a great thing to do. I'm sure you'd do a great job musically. 

It's be a great social thing to do as well- Television's output is like jazz, in that it's about the interplay and reacting to others, so you'd have to really focus on the music and what other people are playing, and some real friendships would be formed there. 

Oops posted early..

anyway, responding to @Redlester Thanks - there would need to be a ton of rehearsal I think! 

Totally agree re: Jazz. I remember when we first did See No Evil in rehearsal the other guitarist/singer turned to me and said ‘I couldn’t tell who was playing what - it sounded like a third  guitar was there’. It’s the way the parts lock together. 

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2473
    I’m probably not the only one to have given the album a spin since this thread started. It’s just bursting with music.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1080
    I've just enjoyed keeping up with all the positive responses to my original post. Thanks very much everyone. 
  • pumkinpumkin Frets: 150
    Thanks for the reminder on this one …. Had the original vinyl and played it over and over …. It encapsulated for me everything at the time and still sounds as good today ….
  • I bought the LP after reading Nick Kent's rave review in NME, and was glad I did. Superb album.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11683
    I listened to it on the way in to work yesterday. The title track is so brilliant it overshadows the rest of the album. 
  • scrumhalf said:
    I listened to it on the way in to work yesterday. The title track is so brilliant it overshadows the rest of the album. 
    I bought the CD over 20 years ago and that's what I thought...but this thread has caused me to revisit a few times and the other tracks have come into focus more now.