SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB: Something a bit special for my 40th - possibly high-end Strat?

What's Hot

Comments

• CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1501
    If it were me - second hand Fender Custom Shop strat - and if you do happen to have to find some "loose change" down the back of the sofa - a Fender Vibro Champ Reverb to plug it into. 
    It's my home rig and I've never been happier! 
     =) 
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Very pretty, but might be a bit too much pink in my music room alongside my pink Tele!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10922
    Well that was an unexpected plot twist
  • OnparOnpar Frets: 436
    Go to Coda and play everything that takes your fancy and buy the best one. Why compromise for your 40th. That's what I did for me 41st :) 
  • DontgiveupyourdayjobDontgiveupyourdayjob Frets: 4071
    edited April 2022
    Onpar said:
    Go to Coda and play everything that takes your fancy and buy the best one. Why compromise for your 40th. That's what I did for me 41st  
    Nice idea, but would have to then factor in a few train tickets, a night in a hotel into the price unfortunately!
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 742
    tFB Trader
    @Dontgiveupyourdayjob Kithara Harland? - it’s a complete one-off and has the bonus of being a mega lightweight one piece body build

www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ^^^ Yeah I've seen those, interesting guitars! I know GuitarGuitar currently have a butterscotch one like Ariel Posen's which tempted me, but think I would need to try one of those in person before sinking that kind of cash on a guitar that'll probably depreciate big-style.
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 742
    tFB Trader
    @Dontgiveupyourdayjob If you’re at the Guitar Show next month we’ll be there with Kithara Guitars
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • @Dontgiveupyourdayjob If you’re at the Guitar Show next month we’ll be there with Kithara Guitars
    Alas, I'm at the wrong end of the country for that!
  • DontgiveupyourdayjobDontgiveupyourdayjob Frets: 4071
    edited April 2022
    Ok, so I'm pretty much at "shit, or get off the potty" phase of my search. I get paid on Monday and at that point reckon financially I'll be in a position to pull the trigger.

I think I've narrowed it down to two similarly priced CS Strats that are competing for my affections:

In the blue corner, wearing the spangly Aztec Gold shorts is this rather lovely Limited Edition '59 Journeyman Strat being sold at ProTone:

https://www.protonemusicuk.com/collections/electric-guitars/products/2016-fender-custom-shop-59-limited-edition-stratocaster-journeyman-relic-aztec-gold ;

Aaaand in the red corner, wearing the fetching Surf Green shorts is this '59 Relic Strat, originally sold just last year at Coda but now on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325141583993?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=tDrgZRHoRLS&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=A7Jojk31SVm&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=EMAIL

The spec on both is great, it really comes down to the minutiae:

Jumbo frets (Gold) vs Medium vintage (Green)

Handwound Ancho Poblanos (Gold) vs Handwound 59s (Green)

1/2 Blender tone wiring (Gold) vs Modern Strat wiring (Green)

Really struggling to decide!!! Part of me is hoping one of them gets bought before Monday so it forces my hand one way or the other!

Anyone have some final, sage words of advice on CS Strats? Or anyone have anything they want to throw into the mix late in the game to try and confuse me further?!
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10922
    Gold on specs, blue on looks
  • CFHCFH Frets: 463
    edited April 2022
    @Dontgiveupyourdayjob I spoke to Protone about the gold strat a while ago. If I remember correctly it has a chip/dent on the front which happened after the pics were taken and so isn’t shown. It could be another guitar but worth asking the question. 

Edit, just checked, it is the same guitar. There’s a chip on it somewhere so I’d definitely recommend asking about it. Stunning flame maple neck though
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7466
    roberty said:
    Gold on specs, Gold on looks
    EFA
  • CFH said:
    @Dontgiveupyourdayjob I spoke to Protone about the gold strat a while ago. If I remember correctly it has a chip/dent on the front which happened after the pics were taken and so isn’t shown. It could be another guitar but worth asking the question. 

Edit, just checked, it is the same guitar. There’s a chip on it somewhere so I’d definitely recommend asking about it. Stunning flame maple neck though
    Yeah I'm aware of the chip and have had a few emails back and forth about it. It's why he's reduced it to £2795 from his usual £3k+ asking price for CS Strats (which I think is over market price anyway).

The chip doesn't bother me much. If it was a shiny NOS finish with a chip then maybe it would, but given that it's supposed to be have the look of a well used guitar, the odd chip isn't too big a fly in the ointment.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8228
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • OnparOnpar Frets: 436
    The Jumbo frets vs medium vintage will make a huge difference to playability. I would probably base my decision on which frets you prefer. And which one you think looks cooler of course. 

I purchased the white version of the 59' CS Strat new from Coda a few weeks ago and I love it.

Only you know best though buddy. Go with what excites you the most. 
  • Hattigol said:
    Fuck's sake, I had to ask didn't I?! That's definitely given me something to think about, though I think maybe i prefer the little bit more relicing on the eBay one. 

Onpar said:
    The Jumbo frets vs medium vintage will make a huge difference to playability. I would probably base my decision on which frets you prefer. And which one you think looks cooler of course. 

I purchased the white version of the 59' CS Strat new from Coda a few weeks ago and I love it.

Only you know best though buddy. Go with what excites you the most. 
    Will that difference really be that huge? I have jumbos on my Duesenberg and medium jumbos on another, both of which I like. I didn't think there'd be that much  of a difference between the two? Not sure I've ever played 'medium vintage' so hard to judge.
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4515
    What about a 40th anniversary strat ,that would be fitting in two ways 
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4824
    Get the gold one; relics are so last year.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.