Q1 2022 Challenge - made something to make something!

What's Hot
So after a long hiatus getting covid, moving house to the country, doing house repairs, decorating, retiring and generally getting a new life together,  i am finally getting time to get back to building some guitars and amps. Its nice to be back here !! 

First step though has been to set up a workshop in the garage and make a decent workbench.  

I had wanted to do a heavy duty bench that would accomodate/house a router table, table saw, luthiers vise, orbital sander, planer and mitre saw.   A donation of some unwanted timber from the farm round the corner spurred me on to get it done 

its about 7’ by 3’ - weighs  a ton but is easy to move.   

now i have everything pretty much in one place and the bench can be moved around the workshop on big lockable castors.   Its solid as a rock.  

I have a build to finish that I started nearly a year ago before my house move and then i plan on doing a semi after being insprired by Wez and Davros’ recent threads in particular 

i am also keen to do a straight ahead Les paul jnr single  cut with 2 P90s This year.  

Still havent got any spray kit - but thats on the list for summer!! 

heres a pic of the new bench 

looking forward to catching up with all the build threads , 
Pete 
0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5737
    I can only dream of workbenches. And workshops...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17495
    The workshop envy is strong
  • downbytheriverdownbytheriver Frets: 1089
    edited February 2022
    Excellent use of the challenge! 

Also excellent use of mirror to expand the workshop! 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28439

Also excellent use of mirror to expand the workshop! 
    My first thought was “wow, that’s a big workshop!”

My second though was “hmmm, looks like you’ve got 2 of some things”

My third thought (but only after reading downbytheriver’s comment) was “ahhhh, now I see!”

Still, that’s a nice big space, and with a handy fridge in the corner too.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17495
    Haha.  I missed the mirror, but that is still an impressive space at half the size.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9127
    I was thinking "Why have you got two same size bandsaws?"
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 500
    Ha ! There was a “home gym”
    in the garage when we bought the house from the previous owners.   I planned to sell the mirrors only to find they have been glued to the walls with something like “no more nails” unfortunately.  Does help with the light when working at the bench at least !! 
    I do wish i had two of the Fobco drills though - its a bloody excellent thing.  
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2397
    tFB Trader
    Good to see you back after the long break, hope to see good things coming out of that workshop. 
    I like the idea of the mirror, you will always fill you're not working alone. 

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• euaneuan Frets: 1942
    GSPBASSES said:
    Good to see you back after the long break, hope to see good things coming out of that workshop. 
    I like the idea of the mirror, you will always fill you're not working alone. 
    Or, as someone who works in a workshop alone often with racks of multiple mirrors not placed there by you, a fright.
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1524
    That is a really useful looking bench, I'm very jealous and now I want to build one!

I for one would be interested in more details. Is that a doubled up 18mm top? 2x6 for the frame? How did you embed the table saw in it?
    edited February 2022
    Thanks @davros ;;

i copied this design I found on YouTube but adjusted it for my table saw dimensions (DeWalt 745) and generally beefed it up constructionally, as well as making it bigger. 
    Then I added the router plate and the vises.  

I still have some T Tracks to fit so that I can use some of my router jigs and make my fence more versatile. At the moment I just clamp the fence with standard woodworking clamps when I need to use it.   Another addition will be various holes and cleats for holding workpieces like bodies when carving or planing.  

https://youtu.be/OIbenbLKkOU

yes, it’s 18mm MDF doubled up for the top - so it can be replaced when it gets knackered, and also so I can wax part of the table for less friction and better routing 

I used 6x2s for the base and the front and rear aprons and 4x2s elsewhere.   There might be some 3x2 bits in there around the table saw plinth I think.   

Getting the table saw support just right was tricky but the adjustable legs on the saw mean that I can dial it in to be perfectly level with the top. 

Future addition will also be an overhead routing jig after seeing yours, Wez’ and GSP’s on various threads.