New Laptop

What's Hot
I spilled a brew on my laptop a good few weeks ago now and the keyboard only partially works so I've been using a USB keyboard with it since. I've tried taking it apart to replace the keyboard but it's fixed is such a way as it's not replaceable as it forms part of a sub-assembly. Shame really as it's a fairly powerful i7.

Anyway, I've decided I'm fed up using the USB keyboard and I've decided to get a new laptop. However, I was wondering if I use it with a DAW whether I'd be better getting a MACbook or stick with a Windows machine. Is there a clear advantage of using one OS over another when it comes to using a DAW. Does anyone use Linux? I do have another laptop that is dual boot Windows 10/Suse Linux but I'll use that for everything else because I doubt it will be fast enough. 

I'm not really au fait with latest specs. I only tend to look at them when I'm in the market for one, as is now. My budget will be £1200-£1500. Any good recommendations? 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Dave8Dave8 Frets: 265
    I’m also looking for a new machine for a DAW. 

I’m 90% sure I’m going to go with a Mac mini. But if I was going for a laptop, a MacBook Air would probably be it. Maybe a pro depending on budget. 
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2437
    Mac laptops are generally really good with the exception of a few well known lemons. My MacBook Air was used intensively for nine years and was very reliable until finally the SSD failed. The new M1 MacBook Air offers good performance and incredible battery life. Down side is not all DAW applications are M1 native yet, and Apple will sting you hard for the extra storage and memory you need. 

One big plus of Macs is that the Core Audio USB driver is really very good, which means you will get good low latency performance with any USB interface. That can still be a bit of a minefield on Windows.
  • Check out Framework laptops. The major USP - other than the fact that they're designed to be easily repairable and upgradable - is that you can change the port configuration on the fly. Just buy more port modules than you need (eg USB A, USB C, HDMI, DisplayPort etc) and you can swap them in and out at will depending on what you need right then.

As for Linux...I use Linux as my daily driver, and Reaper works really well. The problem is plugins; while you have instant free access to all the plugins in the repositories, Windows plugins are an issue. Many do work with WINE, but it can be a pig to get it all set up.

Personally, I've got all the plugins I need running flawlessly - including BFD and Helix Native. I've been using Linux as my main machine for 15+ years, though.
    <space for hire>
  • I would stick to what you know.

There is no clear winner in the windows/apple/Linux debate. Most of it is opinion and down to what works for the individual.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1998
    Stuckfast said:
    One big plus of Macs is that the Core Audio USB driver is really very good, which means you will get good low latency performance with any USB interface. That can still be a bit of a minefield on Windows.
    Good point. I never factored that in. 

Ian

• Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1998
    Check out Framework laptops. The major USP - other than the fact that they're designed to be easily repairable and upgradable - is that you can change the port configuration on the fly. Just buy more port modules than you need (eg USB A, USB C, HDMI, DisplayPort etc) and you can swap them in and out at will depending on what you need right then.

As for Linux...I use Linux as my daily driver, and Reaper works really well. The problem is plugins; while you have instant free access to all the plugins in the repositories, Windows plugins are an issue. Many do work with WINE, but it can be a pig to get it all set up.

Personally, I've got all the plugins I need running flawlessly - including BFD and Helix Native. I've been using Linux as my main machine for 15+ years, though.
    Lots of good advice there. I'm the same as you. I've used Linux as my daily driver for years. I'm not a big fan of Mac OS or Windows and I suppose it will mostly come down to hardware configurability. The OS may still be important though because it does alter UI and not always in a subtle way. I suppose the question could be re-phrased as "do DAW's programmers design for a preferred OS" although I guess that's implied from my OP? 

Ian

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2437
    Devil#20 said:
    I suppose the question could be re-phrased as "do DAW's programmers design for a preferred OS" although I guess that's implied from my OP? 
    Good question. I think until recently there wasn't that much difference, as both macOS and Windows ran on Intel CPUs and the software would have been relatively straightforward to port. Now with Apple shifting to the M1 chip everyone has had to use up tons of development time scrambling to implement native M1 support, and I'd imagine that means less overlap between the two platforms. It's quite dependent on which DAW you use, too. 

Pretty sure opting for Linux would push you into a sort of shadow world where you end up using different software from everyone else. AFAIK the only mainstream DAW that supports it is Reaper, but it's been a while since I checked.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17916
    tFB Trader
    Stuckfast said:
    Devil#20 said:
    I suppose the question could be re-phrased as "do DAW's programmers design for a preferred OS" although I guess that's implied from my OP? 
    Good question. I think until recently there wasn't that much difference, as both macOS and Windows ran on Intel CPUs and the software would have been relatively straightforward to port. Now with Apple shifting to the M1 chip everyone has had to use up tons of development time scrambling to implement native M1 support, and I'd imagine that means less overlap between the two platforms. It's quite dependent on which DAW you use, too. 

Pretty sure opting for Linux would push you into a sort of shadow world where you end up using different software from everyone else. AFAIK the only mainstream DAW that supports it is Reaper, but it's been a while since I checked.

Bitwig is the other one with native Linux support. 
  • Harrison Mixbus has Linux support too. 

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10561
    You can probably repair your laptop quite cheaply. If it's the type where the keyboard is plastic welded under the palm rest then just but the palmrest with a keyboard fitted and change the whole thing. Rarely more than £60 

For music production a Macbook is generally better. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4774

The good thing about Mac’s is if you go the logic or even garage band route you do get a lot with plugins, instruments and drums etc.  Buying them all separate with a different DAW and PC would probably cost about the same.
    But if you already have the DAW and all the VST’s you need for PC, might be worth sticking with that.

• SnapSnap Frets: 6271
    For your budget have a look at the Dell XPS range - they are superb. I have had one since 2016 and it is like new. Been around the world, up and down umpteen countries, thrown around in bags and it is still running perfectly. Joy to use as well.

I would disagree that Apple is better for music production, I think it is a matter of choice and preference. 
    Huawei laptops are worth having a look at too - we have a couple of those and they wear well.

DAW - tbh I wouldn't go more expensive than Reaper, or get Cakewalk for free. You won't need more than either of those tbh.