Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

PRS DGT SE incoming...

What's Hot

Comments

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4140
    Mike58 said:
    Jota said:
    I had one for a couple of weeks.
    It was heavy and, although the coil split sounds amazing, it would not replace my tele.
    I LOVED the neck profile. Really, really chunky and awesome.
    The pickups are a bit too hot for my taste but the trick is the treble bleed. It does A LOT with just the volume. Not a guitar I would keep on 10 90% of the time.
    Maybe one day I'll try to find a lighter one cause it was a really cool guitar.
    Made a quick video before sending it back:

Is that a lefty or a video flip?
    Yes
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JotaJota Frets: 464
    Mike58 said:
    Jota said:
    I had one for a couple of weeks.
    It was heavy and, although the coil split sounds amazing, it would not replace my tele.
    I LOVED the neck profile. Really, really chunky and awesome.
    The pickups are a bit too hot for my taste but the trick is the treble bleed. It does A LOT with just the volume. Not a guitar I would keep on 10 90% of the time.
    Maybe one day I'll try to find a lighter one cause it was a really cool guitar.
    Made a quick video before sending it back:

Is that a lefty or a video flip?

Not a lefty.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Popped into GuitarGuitar Camden over the weekend to see if they had any SE DGT’s in stock, just so I could check the neck. I asked one of the sales guys what neck would be the closest to try & he said a McCarty 594 would be the most similar.  

Tbh I was expecting the core DGT to be the closest.  Anyone know which is the closest?
    duotone said:
    Popped into GuitarGuitar Camden over the weekend to see if they had any SE DGT’s in stock, just so I could check the neck. I asked one of the sales guys what neck would be the closest to try & he said a McCarty 594 would be the most similar.  

Tbh I was expecting the core DGT to be the closest.  Anyone know which is the closest?
    Pattern Regular is pretty close IMO, the McC594 is a similar soft-V shape but chunkier overall.
  • I've just picked up another Goldtop DGT SE. Since I got rid of my last one I just haven't found anything that sounds and plays as good. They really knocked it out the park with the pickups on the SE. That and the treble bleed probably make it the most versatile guitar I've owned. It can cover pretty much anything and sound great doing it.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited March 21

After (L) and Before (R)
    I'm really happy with my Goldtop SE DGT.

I got the dark fingerboard that I wanted and I really like the pickups and so no changes required there and they don't disappoint.

I fitted SE Locking Tuners and swapped out the brownish-gold speed knobs for PRS Amber Top Hat knobs and I think they look better/classier, plus they have a better grab.

It's a belter of a guitar and having had 2 Core DGTs, they only differences - I think the coil splits on the SE are better and produce spankier, chimier sounds and the Core is darker and a little more mid-focused. As such, I prefer the SE

1reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Looks great @Kebabkid ;

Just seen that GuitarGuitar have these Goldtops on sale for £699 now: 
    https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/230110398639025--prs-se-dgt-moons-gold-top
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited March 20
    duotone said:
    Looks great @Kebabkid ;;

Just seen that GuitarGuitar have these Goldtops on sale for £699 now: https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/230110398639025--prs-se-dgt-moons-gold-top
    That's a great price and they're starting to come up used around £550-600.

What I will say is that for the last few months, the fingerboards have been coming up light or streaky and not as shown in the generic picture in your link, or even like mine, which in the flesh, is bordering on looking like ebony. If you don't mind that, great. However, if it does bother you and an actual picture isn't supplied on the ad, I'd ask for one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Kebabkid said:
    duotone said:
    Looks great @Kebabkid ;;

Just seen that GuitarGuitar have these Goldtops on sale for £699 now: https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/230110398639025--prs-se-dgt-moons-gold-top
    That's a great price and they're starting to come up used around £550-600.

What I will say is that for the last few months, the fingerboards have been coming up light or streaky and not as shown in the generic picture in your link, or even like mine, which in the flesh, is bordering on looking like ebony. If you don't mind that, great. However, if it does bother you and an actual picture isn't supplied on the ad, I'd ask for one.
    All good advice @Kebabkid ;

Tbh I wouldn’t buy one online unless their website had individual photos. I’m being a bit fussy now, but still want Goldtop with a dark fingerboard & below 7.5lbs, I don’t mind waiting as I’ve waited this long already. 

I’m still hoping they announce some new colours.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've just picked up another Goldtop DGT SE. Since I got rid of my last one I just haven't found anything that sounds and plays as good. They really knocked it out the park with the pickups on the SE. That and the treble bleed probably make it the most versatile guitar I've owned. It can cover pretty much anything and sound great doing it.
    So it turned up yesterday. This one is really light, I’m guessing between 7-7.5lbs. Nice dark board on it. It was setup perfectly out of the box. However the switch is a bit flakey. It’s cutting out randomly when you move it. I imagine a bit of contact cleaner will sort it. I’m in 2 minds whether to send it back, as it plays so well and is the perfect weight with the darker fretboard. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    If it's all good I'd be inclined to keep it but maybe ask for store credit for a replacement switch (if they sell good ones)! Or enough to cover the cost of a new Switchcraft one since a cheaper replacement might end up faulty later on anyway.
    Where did you get it from @kennedydream1980 ;
    The last batch that Peach had, seemed to be just under 8lbs.
  • duotone said:
    Where did you get it from @kennedydream1980 ;
    The last batch that Peach had, seemed to be just under 8lbs.
    Guitarguitar
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4835
    Nice, enjoy :)

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

So it turned up yesterday. This one is really light, I’m guessing between 7-7.5lbs. Nice dark board on it. It was setup perfectly out of the box. However the switch is a bit flakey. It’s cutting out randomly when you move it. I imagine a bit of contact cleaner will sort it. I’m in 2 minds whether to send it back, as it plays so well and is the perfect weight with the darker fretboard. 
    I’ve decided to send it back. The switch deteriorated to the point where there was no sound at all in the bridge position, and the other positions were intermittent. I don’t think I’m lucky enough to get a replacement with similar weight and darker fretboard, so I’ve requested a refund.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    I've just picked up another Goldtop DGT SE. Since I got rid of my last one I just haven't found anything that sounds and plays as good. They really knocked it out the park with the pickups on the SE. That and the treble bleed probably make it the most versatile guitar I've owned. It can cover pretty much anything and sound great doing it.
    I’ve decided to send it back. The switch deteriorated to the point where there was no sound at all in the bridge position, and the other positions were intermittent. I don’t think I’m lucky enough to get a replacement with similar weight and darker fretboard, so I’ve requested a refund.
    How on earth has that dodgy switch got through PRS and Peach QC? It's a basic check....
    How on earth has that dodgy switch got through PRS and Peach QC? It's a basic check....
    It wasn’t from Peach.
    I've just picked up another Goldtop DGT SE. Since I got rid of my last one I just haven't found anything that sounds and plays as good. They really knocked it out the park with the pickups on the SE. That and the treble bleed probably make it the most versatile guitar I've owned. It can cover pretty much anything and sound great doing it.
    Totally agree that the switch shouldn’t have gotten through QC, but surely if you like the rest of it it’s worth having them cough up for a decent replacement switch (+ fitting if you can’t/won’t do it yourself)?