A great resource for comparing compressors

What's Hot
frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
edited August 2014 in FX
http://www.ovnilab.com

I really like these guys reviews :)
A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Yup, love it. Though he doesn't seem to like buffered bypass.

It makes me want to try an exotic sp. It's based off the same as my route 66 (which I really like) but seems to do a great deal more, in a smaller box, with less bass cut.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7927
    My ART Tube PAC got a passable review, so I like them for that ;)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    yeah, his really good. I bought the DOD Milkbox on his recommendation, and it was exactly as he said.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3675
    The Xotic SP is brilliant. It one of the only pedals I've seen that allows you to blend the comrpessed and uncompressed signal.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    It's a great site, and very informative and entertaining. But you probably also need to be aware of their bias. Check out the dynacomp review to get some proof that these are not simple objective and unbiased reviews.

Another strange thing I found: if you look at the review for the Rothwell Love Squeeze, it makes it sound like the most wonderful compressor ever. But look in the list of recommendations and I don't think it's even there at all.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 621
    The Xotic SP is brilliant.
    +1 - I've been through a few compressors and this is the one for me. Can't say enough good things about it. Fantastic for adding lots of sustain without dulling your attack. As mentioned, I think the blend knob is the key but it's a fabulous bit of kit. Love it, love it, love it.
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7512
    edited August 2014
    Beexter;334714" said:
    vasselmeyer said:

The Xotic SP is brilliant.

+1 - I've been through a few compressors and this is the one for me. Can't say enough good things about it. Fantastic for adding lots of sustain without dulling your attack. As mentioned, I think the blend knob is the key but it's a fabulous bit of kit. Love it, love it, love it.
    The massive attack is exactly why I love the route 66 - another dyna/Ross type. It's lovely.

But it is noisy when used with higher gain.

It's not fantastic with bass though, bit clicky sounding.
  • He also reviews from a bass player's perspective, however i've found it to be quite useful.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • Ovnilab's the man.

We chatted when i was on the compressor hunt, he saved me a lot of money.

Two thumbs fresh.
  • What did he recommend you?
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17941
    tFB Trader
    It's a great resource though quite Bass focussed. 

Another +1 for the SP Comp. 

Just perfect for me!
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    The Xotic SP is brilliant. It one of the only pedals I've seen that allows you to blend the comrpessed and uncompressed signal.
    When I get a comp this would probably win for me with quality and space saving. This also gets my hopes up. 
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3675
    monquixote;335291" said:

Just perfect for me!
    And if @monquixote, a notorious pedal churner, says that, you know it's a good one. The one I had was borrowed so as soon as I get my act together I'm going to swap out the EHX Soul Preacher for the SP.
  • @Johnnyseven

Not so much direct recomendations. I told him what i was interested in; he expanded a bit on his review comments, warned me off a couple that he didn't yet have reviews uploaded for.
    That kinda thing.
    Im very well settled on my Durham Sex Drive atm. But have lots of love for Dinosaural's OTC as well; noticed on a gigrig vid that Ed O'Brien is using the Dino on his board at the mo.
    Will probably be tempted by a Pale Green at some point in future too.
    Ovni also posts as Bongo Bongo on talkbass btw.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12064
    I want to try the MXR one that is based on the same design Origin Effects Cali 76 is also base on.
  • I quite like his "note for guitarists". I agree with his first point quite a lot - I've used comps on bass, including my current favourite (visual sound route 66) and they've all disappointed me. Mostly bass sucking, clicky or overly compressed.

I suspect a good solution pedal is the exotic - having a clean blend really fixes the low end problem, and if it can sound similar to the route 66 for guitar (but quieter even) then that really would be two birds with one stone. And I can consider it being half price as it'll be great for both instruments, right? ;)

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17941
    tFB Trader
    monquixote;335291" said:

Just perfect for me!
    And if @monquixote, a notorious pedal churner, says that, you know it's a good one. The one I had was borrowed so as soon as I get my act together I'm going to swap out the EHX Soul Preacher for the SP.
    I'm quite tempted to add "Notorious Pedal Churner" to my sig :)
  • monquixote;337804" said:
    vasselmeyer said:

monquixote;335291" said:

Just perfect for me!

I'm quite tempted to add "Notorious Pedal Churner" to my sig :)
    Accepting who you are is the first step. ;)
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7927
    edited September 2014

I quite like his "note for guitarists". I agree with his first point quite a lot - I've used comps on bass, including my current favourite (visual sound route 66) and they've all disappointed me. Mostly bass sucking, clicky or overly compressed.

I suspect a good solution pedal is the exotic - having a clean blend really fixes the low end problem, and if it can sound similar to the route 66 for guitar (but quieter even) then that really would be two birds with one stone. And I can consider it being half price as it'll be great for both instruments, right? ;)

this is why I stick with my ART - it works perfectly for bass, and does a great job in front of my acoustic guitar too :)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • pmgpmg Frets: 301
    I've use a diamond comp for both bass and guitar with great results