Does anyone know (Freeway 3x3)

...if it will fit in a 335 type guitar? Specifically an Epiphone Sheraton? 
Hoping to get some extra time options but I've been caught out before- CTS push-pull pots won't go through the f-holes. 
Anyone know if the Freeway switch fits?

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    edited March 2022
    Yeah but no but …

Yes, the switch can pass through the widest part of the F hole on a Hamer XT Series ES-alike …

BUT

… it is necessary to tilt the switch body and rotate it to persuade it through.

This will be almost impossible once you have two 4-con + shield humbuckers connected.

CTS push-pull pots won't go through the f-holes. 
    The modern PCB type won't but the old ones should. 

Alternatively, use Seymour Duncan Triple Shot mounting surrounds to do your coil selections and a basic loom thereafter.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5318
    Thanks @Funkfingers . I replaced the wiring loom in my Sheraton last year with the good stuff from Six String Supplies and planned to put a push-pull pot in to get in and out of phase switching for the middle position. That's when I found out the CTS push-pulls don't fit. Was hoping the Freeway switch might be another way to get the sounds but it looks like not.

Tempted just to drill a hole for a mini DPDT switch...

• sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 430
    tFB Trader
    @english_bob if you give me a few days I can check if the 3x3 toggle fits through the f-holes 
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    To clarify my previous post, the current shape Freeway 3X3-03 is 28mm across between its flat edges. At its widest point, the F-hole of my cheapskate ES-alike is also 28mm.

Thus, the switch body can only be threaded through the F-hole in one orientation. Namely, with one of its rounded ends in first and its flat edges parallel with the edges of aperture. 

This may strain some of the connections soldered to the PCB pads. 

For space reasons, it could be necessary to align all of the cables parallel to the centre line of the switch body. Otherwise, it may not be possible to persuade the Freeway switch through the F-hole. This requirement may affect the order in which your soldering on the switch has to be done.

Very much a ship in a bottle project. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5318
    @english_bob if you give me a few days I can check if the 3x3 toggle fits through the f-holes 
    That would be much appreciated. I'm not in any hurry.